Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Voting Aids?

Voting Aids? 2 years 5 months ago #76597

• Utelias
  • Fresh Lemon
While you may be familiar to the idea of Voting Aids, I believe the implementation of it varies from country to country just as the voting and election systems have differences.

Here in Finland we vote for a candidate (who most often is a member of some political party, though we have independent candidates, too). So what becomes difficult especially in municipal elections is to find the right candidate to give the vote to. One needs to have a pretty clear picture of what the candidates think of the issues which will have to be solved during the next council term.

While each political party (and each electoral associations formed for just one election) has right to have as many candidates as 1.5 times the amount seats in the council, there can be several hundred candidates in one municipality.

So you may already guess what I want to do:
We want to have a set of questions, all of which will be a single choice from three to five alternatives (think of a radio button ), and possibly some weighing/omitting mechanism for every question.
The candidates will give their answers, and their answers will be stored somewhere in a database.

Then comes the site visitor in.
A visitor will answer the same set of questions the way he wants to have things run during the next council term.

After the visitor has entered his choices the system will tell who of the candidates corresponded best to the choices the visitor made in quiz.

Can this be done with LimeSurvey?

I have previously used it for some simple surveys, but this is a whole different animal.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Utelias.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Voting Aids? 2 years 5 months ago #76611

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 313
Main problem will be to show the right candidate. As you will be trying to draw information form the data base, you will probably have to make some custom coding. I can't see a way to make this work out of the box.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Voting Aids? 2 years 5 months ago #76617

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Utelias wrote:
After the visitor has entered his choices the system will tell who of the candidates corresponded best to the choices the visitor made in quiz.

Can this be done with LimeSurvey?

Whether you can do this in LimeSurvey 1.92 really depends upon how you define your distance metrics to match a voter's responses to a list of possible candidates. Have you figured out what equation you would use to compare candidate and voter scoring?

Here is an example using 5 candidates and 5 5-point questions. The distance metric is simply the absolute difference between each individual score and the voter's score, but the equation can be as complex as you want.

Page 1:
page1.jpg

Page 2:
page2.jpg

Editing hidden equations to compute match score for each candidate:
cscores.jpg

Editing result questions to only show candidates with close enough positions:
cresult.jpg

The whole survey file:

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_88988.lss
File Size: 55 KB

/Tom
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
Donation Image