Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A strange feature!

A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76512

• Cyrolancer
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello LS community :)

Today, my boss has asked me about Limesurvey and its capabilities, performance and customization. We have talked too much, I have made a LS show quickly and I was thinking that everything was going fine, up to a strange request of my boss'.

My boss asked me about an approval system on the surveys in LS. He wants to approve all surveys (or some surveys) before publishing online. His reason is due to ethical something something that I don't even care as the man at the software side.

He has been asking for this feature for about a month, and I am saying it is not a feature of LS. But yesterday, he told me that he is going to make a meeting in a few days about this approval issue.

I know his reason is very simple, but he is still asking for this. What can I say to him? or are there any ways to implement approval system into LS?

Quick Note: Yesterday, one of my friends asked me about the approval feature. He said that they need it for the ethical committee approvals.

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76520

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 380
What do you mean exactly with the approval system?

A way to review the survey before starting to publish it or a system to review the responses for each interview before publishing the results in the online statistics?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76521

• Cyrolancer
  • Fresh Lemon
The approval system in my mind is,

- The LS user creates the survey
- LS user publishes it.
- Nobody can access the survey in this state until the reviewer inspects it.
- Somehow the reviewer is informed, by mail or a red flashing text in the administration panel :)
- The reviewer inspects the survey without any constraints, like tokens.
- When the reviewer approves it, people from the outside can access it and the survey acts as a normal LS survey.
- When the reviewer rejects it, the LS user, who owns the survey, is informed and correct if necessary. Then reviewing process repeats.

holch wrote:
A way to review the survey before starting to publish it

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76522

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, there is is not available in LS and I am quite sure it won't for quite a while, as this is not a very commonly need feature. At least we didn't see any requests in this direction.

However, what you describe is just a little more structured/software side implementation of what many companies do already.

You create a questionnaire, you DO NOT publish it. You send a test link to a superior/client for approval, you get the OK (or not) and you publish the survey.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76523

• Cyrolancer
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you holch. I think you are right. In these conditions your suggestion is the thing what we need to do.

But the problem raises in that, the user can activate the survey without any permission and send the link to where he/she wants, i.e. a public mailing list. This is something that my boss doesn't want.

In reality, I really don't understand why a person needs to be such a control freak.

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76524

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, seems like there are some trust issues.

I think with responsible people it should be enough to have a defined procedure. In all my time in market research there was never a single survey that had been sent out by the technical stuff before they had the go by the research manager. And there was never a single case that the research manager gave the GO before the client had approved the questionnaire. And we are talking about hundreds of surveys per year.

If there is a risk of someone sending a survey without approval, you have an issue anyway, and probably much more severe. :-)

I assume that such a feature could be custom coded. So if your boss is willing to sponsor such a feature, it might make sense to get in touch with the developers team.

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76526

• Cyrolancer
  • Fresh Lemon
Your input on this trust issue is correct. It will be hard to explain the exact situation but there is a strong opportunity in people behaving as if they are the boss. That raises the need of an automated controlling mechanism.

I haven't searched the website but are there any LS module programming tutorials? Maybe I can code, at least try to code it and share with the community.

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76548

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I know how those things go. It is unfortunate, but this behavior of course has consequences and the boss will have to look into things to control this. I can totally understand him.

There is no such thing as "modules" in LS for the LS 1.9x branch.

However, seems like the upcoming LS 2.x branch is based on the Yii framework and it is supposed to be easier to create custom modules. However, I assume that the final version will be released only towards the end of this year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyrolancer

Re: A strange feature! 2 years 8 months ago #76595

• Cyrolancer
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you your your support and the information holch. I am excited to see the new LS 2.x :)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Donation Image