Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Testing the Email templates

Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75408

• LycianSage
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello !

I am using Version 1.91+ Build 12416.

I searched the Internet including Limesurvey forums and the docs but couldn't find. I want to test the invitation, reminder, and confirmation emails. The organisation wants me to be sure it fits certain criteria.

I will use tokens but haven't uploaded them. And I'm still developing the survey. I want to test the emails before I activate it. I want to learn how they will look like in the email reader (webmail, outlook, etc.).

For example; sending the emails (invitation, reminder, and confirmation) to my own email addresses for a test.

How can I do this?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75447

• DenisChenu
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 844
You can create token table and send mail.

For reminder : put 10000 in use left (the esaiest)
For inviation : need to remove the sending date before send a mail
for confirmation: need to remove the Completed? and put 1 on use left . And activate the survey ( but you can activate and after deactivate: it remove the answers)

Denis
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: activate for confirmation
The following user(s) said Thank You: LycianSage

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75451

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
That's simple:

1. Create a token table
2. Create a dummy test entry with your email address, for further testing you might want to set "uses_left" to 10 or 50
3. At the token overview, click the "send invitations" icon and send the invitation to your test token.
4. You might also want to send a test reminder, just click the according icon and only those token entries that haven't participated yet but have received an invitation previously will receive a reminder.
5. You can furthermore fill out the survey (activate it for tsting) and at the end of the survey, when submitting results, the confirmation email will be sent.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75633

• LycianSage
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you guys!

So, there is no "test the email" button somewhere which I couldn't find yet.

About creating the token table, I want to ask one more question:

I will create the token table with one email address for me, activate the survey and send the invitation and reminders. And the conf. mail will be delivered if I fill the survey.

But if I deactivate the survey, delete the single test token, is there anything bad that can happen? A corruption in the infrastructural database of my survey like indexes etc.?

Will this process leave 'scars' on my survey?

Bear in mind that I will have one chance to collect data in actual survey. Experiencing problems whit the actual survey is not an option for me.

And by the way, what is "uses_left"?
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by LycianSage.

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75661

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
"But if I deactivate the survey, delete the single test token, is there anything bad that can happen? A corruption in the infrastructural database of my survey like indexes etc.?

Will this process leave 'scars' on my survey?"
-> No

If you deactivate the survey, the test data will be moved to a backup table and once you activate the survey again, you have a fresh and empty table.
To end your survey, always send an end date instead of deactivating the survey when you are done.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75741

• LycianSage
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you Mazi and Shnoulle.

So be it! I will make a fake run for the survey to test the email stuff.

But I consider this a serious deficiency. How can a sophisticated software like LimeSurvey not have a test function?

It is very easy to implement. Just put one line text field and a button under each email template. You write an email address into the text field and click on the button captioned as "See your invitation in your inbox" or "Test this email template." Viola! This is cool stuff.

If you have time for a few more lines, you can make some TEST_TOKEN entries in the database so that test emails may be used to reach the survey and actually take the the survey. But since those tokens are TEST_TOKEN their data are not included in the main database. When you export the data, or make an assessment they are just ignored. Viole 2! This is more cool stuff.

I highly suggest putting this function into LimeSurvey software.

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75745

• LycianSage
  • Fresh Lemon
I made this official:

see the "new idea" in the LimeSurvey Ideas.

please vote for it.

Re: Testing the Email templates 2 years 7 months ago #75753

• DenisChenu
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 844
LycianSage wrote:
Thank you Mazi and Shnoulle.

So be it! I will make a fake run for the survey to test the email stuff.

But I consider this a serious deficiency. How can a sophisticated software like LimeSurvey not have a test function?

It is very easy to implement. Just put one line text field and a button under each email template. You write an email address into the text field and click on the button captioned as "See your invitation in your inbox" or "Test this email template." Viola! This is cool stuff.

If you have time for a few more lines, you can make some TEST_TOKEN entries in the database so that test emails may be used to reach the survey and actually take the the survey. But since those tokens are TEST_TOKEN their data are not included in the main database. When you export the data, or make an assessment they are just ignored. Viole 2! This is more cool stuff.

I highly suggest putting this function into LimeSurvey software.
You can put a patch on bugs.limesurvey.org OR do a fork and ask for a PULL in github :)

Denis
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Donation Image