Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire...

Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #74756

Hi all!

I would like to know if it possible to randomize sub-questions, not within a questionnaire but between questionnaires adressed to different respondent.

Basically, I have 3 questions with the same subquestions (lines in an array) within a questionnaire. I want them in the same order for one respondent. But I don't want the next respondent to have the same order. I would like to neutralize the bias that might exist when you don't use randomized order, but at the same time, ensure that the questionnaire is still easy to use for each respondent. I hope this makes sense! ;)

Do you think this is possible? How can I do it?

Thank you!

Marie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #74796

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 741
You can do this with JavaScript but the details of the script would depend on how the questions are displayed (it would be easiest if all displayed on the same page). Can you attach a sample survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #74928

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Tony, how would you do that by using JS? Read out the SAVEDID and use that as a basis for a certain randomization, so that the randomization is repeated every X users?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #74937

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
I think that mguimezanes wants all 3 arrays to have randomized subquestion order but that all 3 use the same order for a given user.

I would give all identical subquestions the same codes or a common prefix. Then I could create a JavaScript array of all of the codes or prefixes, randomize that array and use it to display the subquestions for all 3 questions in the randomized order.

If the questions are on separate pages, a cookie could be used to store the randomized JavaScript array.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #75023

Thanks for the inputs, but I think this is getting much too technical for my limited IT skills (I don't know avything about javascript)! I guess I'll just choose between not randomizing and randomizing everything!

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #75052

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
mguimezanes, if you can attach a sample survey I can give you an example of the script.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 5 months ago #75063

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 787
Hello,

You can randomise the first array, get the order, ad use this order for the next question.

The difference it's : using PHP randomize and not javascript randomize :).

Denis

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 4 months ago #75115

OK. Thanks guys! I am not sure what "format" you want it, I attach the quexml document, tell me if it suits you. The questions I want to randomize are in section C (these are the codes in the pdf file).

I want to randomize the subquestions in questions:
- C1 and C6 ("Paris Declaration" ... "Istanbul principles")
- C2, C3, C4, C5 ("Donors" ... "NGO network or think tank")

Do you think this is manageable?

Thanks for your help!

Marie

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 4 months ago #75116

Did the attachment work? Let's try again...
C:\fakepath\quexmlpdf_36525_en.zip

Re: Randomization "between respondents", but not within a questionnaire... 2 years 4 months ago #75117

OK... let's work step by step! How do you attach a file??
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Donation Image