Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores

Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74457

I have a ranking question in which I ask users to rank at least 5 of 14 attributes.
I would like to use these answers (in rank order) for a numerical input question directly afterwards, to establish a weighting score for each (i.e. Please distribute a total of 100 points among the attributes which you listed as important in the previous question).

Is this possible? I've been breaking my neck trying to use the SGQA numbers... but I'm not so great with JS, and couldn't figure it out. Is there anyone who can help clear this up, in 'idiot-speak'?
PS- I'm not as code-illiterate as I might make myself out to be, but let's pretend I'm dense :unsure:
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Solent_Student.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74461

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
In the spirit of Valentine's day, here is a silly survey that does what you seek, using 1.92 RC4.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_82898.lss
File Size: 34 KB

Here's what it looks like running. As you add/remove items from the ranking, they will be added/removed from the second question, and the sum score will always reflect just what you see (so hidden questions don't contribute to the overall score)

74457-screenshot.jpg

For that second question, the way to show the rank-ordered selections is using this syntax for sub-questions:

74457-subquestions.jpg

/Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Solent_Student

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74477

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Great example, Tom.

Can you please add this to the manual as well? We should collect some of such examples there because this makes it easier to the user to create similar surveys and the forum is wiped out regularly, it would be a pity to loose such valuable information.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74495

Wow. Tom. I don't know what to say :woohoo:
I was loathing my dissertation last night. I'm in southern England, so it was like 2AM when I posted. I wake up, and you've answered explaining how to do EXACTLY what I was hoping to be able to do!
Thank you soooo much!!
Now I'm going to go implement it!
I saw the suggestion that this be added to the manual. I hope it wasn't in there, and that I just wasn't so dumb to not be able to find it. I don't know if if needs to be in the manual, but maybe in the accompanying 'idiots guide' :whistle:
Thanks again!!

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74500

Grrr. I don't get it. What is going wrong here? I'm pretty sure it worked once, but I'm only seeing the answer code (in the multiple num. input Q) when I test my survey (i.e. {CSF_1.shown}). Am I missing something? I went through your sample survey, and didn't notice any 'hidden' changes to source code, only the notation shown in your second screenshot. So, I tried that in my survey. Same results.
Then I tried importing your survey, and testing it (that's when I think I saw it work, however now I'm getting the same results as described above).
Then I tried importing partially, no avail. I tried it a few ways.

Do I have to be on the latest version of LimeSurvey? I'm on v1.91+12416, and have been hesitant to update cause this has my dissertation research on it and I'm terrified of something going wrong. Also, my webspace isn't exactly mine, but belongs to a housemate with whom I haven't really been on the best terms lately. I didn't want to have to ask him for assistance.

Thanks for your help. I can't express my gratitude enough.

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74502

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
The example only works on Limesurvey 1.92 and not at older versions such as 1.91. So you have to update (RC4 was just released) or set up a second Limesurvey instance.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74507

Wow. Thanks, at least I can stop beating my head against a wall! I thought I'd go crazy this morning. I guess I was wrong, and I didn't see it work once...it must've been Tom's screenshots and wishful thinking.
My housemate just came home, and I worked up the nerve to ask for his help (he's the one with the required rights on the web server)...so long story, short...we're about to install.
Thanks again. I'm a bit nervous about losing all my stuff, but I've exported everything, twice. It should be okay. *fingers crossed*

Re: Using answers from Ranking Question to establish weighting scores 2 years 5 months ago #74511

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
You can easily setup a second Limesurvey system on the same server for testing before updating the main version.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Donation Image