Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Import many similar questions

Import many similar questions 2 years 5 months ago #73644

• audiolime
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi all,

I am looking for a way to quickly generate new questions on the basis of a template. I looked around because I thought it should be doable with the export/import feature, but I just don't understand how the xml/lss files work.

I read that I can import a .csv file as well, but what should the structure of this file look like? Can I import the xml file into Excel?

I tried finding something in the documentation and on the web, but I couldn't find anything.

Best,
Esther
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Import many similar questions 2 years 5 months ago #73654

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

what LimeSurvey version and build number do you use? Did you do some changes in the SourceCode of your LimeSurvey installation?

If I'm correct the .csv file was used in older LimeSurvey versions. In the version 1.91+ an .lss file (most or all parts of the file are xml) is used to import a survey, lsg for importing/exporting a group and lsq for for importing/exporting a question.

If you want to do it manually you can copy a single question using the "Copy current question" (two papers) symbol. You just have to modify the question code and decide what you want to copy. To copy a group you have to export and "re-"import it.

If you want to change questions and groups in the lss or lsg file you can open them with a text/xml editor or maybe even a calculator programme. I don't know if the structure of these files are complicated, perhaps you have to take a deeper look into the file to see how it works.
When you import it back you might have to delete the existing survey or group in order not to duplicate the survey or group.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: Aw: Import many similar questions 2 years 5 months ago #73663

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
When importing .LSS or .CSV fiels, they have to match a predefined structure. That's why we don't recommend editing those files.

For Creating several copies of the same question, simply use the copy question feature.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Import many similar questions 2 years 5 months ago #73676

• dbrd
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
Here is a trivial made up example, see the two attachments. The first is an exported question, the second had the question code and the topic of the question edited directly in a text editor. For a question group where the topic remains the same for several questions, Search and Replace works very well. Be sure when you save the edited question that it retains the .lsq extension.

I prefer to export and edit groups, as I usually have conditional follow up questions.
Attachments:

Re: Import many similar questions 2 years 5 months ago #73768

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
A short note: Always use a raw text editor for such changes and never open the CSV files using Excel, that breaks the internal data structure.

I recommend "XML notepad" for editing LSS/LSG/LSQ files.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Donation Image