Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section?

Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73220

• tacman1123
  • LimeSurvey Team
I have a large survey that the user might decide not to fill out in order. In fact, because it's an organizational survey, they might decide to have different people fill out different sections (e.g. Human Resources might fill out one section, the Legal Department another, and Accounting another).

What's the best approach for designing this? My initial idea is as follows:
  • Create a dedicated website/Limesurvey installation for these surveys.
  • Put each section into its own survey, e.g. Legal, Accounting
  • Give each organization one login, and in each section ask who filled it out.
  • Order the surveys in the way that fits the multi-page paper form, and in
    general the preferred order for filling it out.

What I'd like to do make sure that when the organization logs in, they can see how far along in the survey set they are, and which survey (really, survey sections) are still incomplete.

This method would mean that legal could modify accounting, etc., but I think that's something I can live with for now.

My question: is there a better approach to this? Should I do it all with one survey instead?

Tac
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73223

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
What will the survey be about? I'm asking because you might need some unique ID to compare data sets between diffeent surveys?!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73232

• tacman1123
  • LimeSurvey Team
I'm thinking the user id will tie them all together.

The survey is an organizational survey --

Section 1: name/address, etc.
Employees: How many part-time? Full-time? Contractor?
Legal Issues: Any lawsuits?
Union Issues: What unions are represented? Any complaints filed?

That kind of stuff. So it makes sense as one large survey, the paper survey I'm adapting has it that way, but I'm thinking it might be easier to work with in smaller chunks.

If we need to do more sophisticated relationships, I'll export them all and tie them together with the user_id, so appear like one giant table (as if they had all been done separately).

Tac

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73236

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
You can also put it al in one survey and then use (dummy) tokens. If the survey is set to be NON anonymous, you can partly fill it out and then fill in the rest later (by others).
Within the survey you can e.g. use passwords to "protect" parts (=questions) so only people knowing the password can fill out certain questions. See docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Surve...r_accessing_a_survey

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73327

• tacman1123
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thank, I'll keep that in mind.

I like the way 1.92 can optionally list the completed questions on the side, to allow for navigation back to a previous question. I'm wondering if there's some way I can do that, but list the questions (or really sections) on the side from the beginning of the survey. That way, I can allow for navigation immediately, since each section is independent of the others.

Tac

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73361

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
I think the question index to jump to following questions or jump back is already available in version 1.91?!

Was this extended for version 1.92 to indicate which questions have been answered?

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73386

• tacman1123
  • LimeSurvey Team
Running the 1.92 demo survey does show the previous questions (or at least a subset of them, I haven't figured out if it's questions or sections or what). But it's only good for going backwards, not jumping forward, which might be helpful for long surveys. Or maybe not -- I'm trying to figure out how to let a user skip sections they want to complete later, but not submit the survey until all mandatory questions have been answered.

Tac

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73395

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
The reason for not showing future questions and offering to jump to them is that Limesurvey uses branching logic for conditions anstead of jumping, see docs.limesurvey.org/Setting+conditions&s...ersus_Jump_Branching

So this is a technical issue (not sure if this works differently when no conditions are used).

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73403

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
  • Thank you received: 5
This is an interesting question. We've struggled with some of the same issues.

It sounds like you are going to create a survey, dedicate a LS site to just one organization, and there will really only be ONE response to the whole survey? That is, you're not trying to have multiple companies fill it out and then analyze differences, etc. If so that will definitely simplify things.

We have multiple companies participating in the same survey and were concerned about security. So we plan to break things into multiple surveys then wrap it in kind of a "front end" application that doles out tokens to people and gives them a little control panel that keeps track of which survey is finished, etc.

The survey index hasn't been very useful to us. As you pointed out, it can't show you what's coming up or do a very good job of showing what's complete. And in any case if you have mandatory questions, it's not going to let you skip them anyway. Limesurvey really expects you to follow the trail and not deviate around too much. That's one reason we break things into multiple surveys.

Re: Set of Surveys? Or various choose a section? 2 years 5 months ago #73410

• tacman1123
  • LimeSurvey Team
I think we're doing the same thing you are. We have multiple companies answering the same survey, and we can dedicate a site (or a page) to that survey, or set of sub-surveys.

The token system is probably the right way to do this, but another idea I had was to create a user account for each company. But that gets messy as well, so the token system with a front-end to track which surveys have been completed is probably better.

How do you plan to keep the tokens in sync? I'm guessing something that generates the token list for one survey and then populates the token lists for the other surveys. And then for the reminders and invitations -- hmm, it's starts to get messy again.

Please let me know what you come up with, sounds like we're dealing with a similar issue.

Tac
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
Donation Image