Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question weighting

Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70101

• opeth4ever
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,

I'm new to LimeSurvey, and it looks like a very powerful software. Still, I can't seem to figure out by myself whether/how the following survey would be possible:

I have simple Yes/No/Cancel questions, with the possibility to comment. Those I have modeled as lists with comments. Each of the questions should have two different weightings, let's say W1 and W2. They express how important the question is on two different scales.

Example: 'Were you happy with the experience?' Yes/No/Cancel Comment:___
W1 = 5 points W2 = 3 points (those would be the same for all users for each question)

I have several ideas as to how to implement the weightings, but can't do it with LimeSurvey:

- Custom attributes on questions at survey design time. This would be my favorite option, but it doesn't look like LimeSurvey supports custom attributes on questions.

- Multiple columns/answers per question: the answer to a question would be made up of three dropdowns (and the comment textbox). Dropdown1: Yes/No/Cancel, dropdown2: 0/1/2/3/4/5 points, dropdown3: same as dropdown2. In this scenario the user would ensure correct weighting. Preselecting and disabling the dropdowns per JavaScript would be an option. I can't seem to be able to design a question with three dropdowns as answer though.

I'm accustomed to programming in JavaScript and PHP, so I would be happy to hear about workarounds as long as I can get the weightings into MySQL. The statistics will be done using a reporting tool, I need LimeSurvey only for survey design and data entry. Would LimeSurvey 2 solve the problem, and where can I get a development snapshot? Any idea on how to implement question weightings?

Thanks a lot!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70113

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Can you elaborate what you need the weighing for?

Have you had a look at <a href='docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...tions+for+LimeSurvey'>assessments</a>?

How should the results look like / How will you use the weighing at data analysis?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Mazi.

Aw: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70120

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but perhaps it would be possible to solve this using a dual scale array (question type: "Array dual scale") with the subquestions "Yes", "No" and "Cancel" and "Answer scale 1" with "0/1/2/3/4/5 " as well as "Answer scale 2" with "0/1/2/3/4/5". In a dual scale array you can define the headings for "W1" and "W2" in the question opition "Header for first scale" and "Header for second scale".
If that is not enough you can try to add a list with comments question to before the dual scale array and use it as array filter for the dual scale array, i.e. participant chooses "Yes" in first question and the dual scale array then only shows the row with "Yes".

I added a screenshot that shows how a dual scale array looks like.
Attachments:
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70193

• opeth4ever
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello Mazi,

I have looked into assessments as you suggested, and it looks like the feature I need. Is it possible to assign two assessment values to each answer?

In case you want to understand the use case: we calculate two different scores for each completed survey. Each score is based on different weightings (aka assessment values) assigned to each question.

Question 1W1=5W2=3Yes/No/Cancel
Question 2W1=4W2=3Yes/No/Cancel

Suppose a survey is answered with 'Yes' on both questions, then this survey would have a Score1 of 9 (5+4) and a Score2 of 6 (3+3). Any idea on how to implement this? By the way, we won't use LimeSurvey to calculate the results, but only for introducing the surveys into the database. A reporting solution will do the rest.

Thanks for your time!
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by opeth4ever.

Re: Aw: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70194

• opeth4ever
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello vierundzwanzig,

good idea, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I can see how it could work as a workaround if modified a bit. First I will look into assessments as Mazi suggested, if that isn't working, I will try to adapt your idea.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: Aw: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70202

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
It is not possible to assign two assessment values to one answer.

Currently I'm not sure how to handle this with Limesurvey because you only store one answer value for a certain user/question relation.

A workaround might be to add a copy of each question, hide the copy and use some Javascript to populate it according to the choice of the base question.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70207

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
opeth4ever wrote:
Would LimeSurvey 2 solve the problem, and where can I get a development snapshot? Any idea on how to implement question weightings?

Yes, Expression Manager, which will in LimeSurvey 1.92 and 2.0, will let you do this.

You can seem some examples here.

To solve your problem, you would create hidden 'Equation' questions for each scale score (assessment value).
Score1 = {sum(if(Q1=='Y'),5,0),if(Q2=='Y',4,0))}
Score2 = {sum(if(Q1=='Y'),3,0),if(Q2=='Y',3,0))}

Then, if you wanted to show the scores in an assessment report, you would do this:
<table border='1'>
<tr><th>Score</th><th>Value</th></tr>
<tr><td>#1</td><td>{Score1}</td></tr>
<tr><td>#2</td><td>{Score2}</td></tr>
</table>

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70228

• opeth4ever
  • Fresh Lemon
TMSWhite, Expression Manager looks very interesting. One problem in this case however is that we need the assessment values properly stored in the database, not in expressions. We need to interface with external tools and access questions, their answers and their assessment values.

I'm beginning to understand that this might not be possible the 'easy' way. Mazi's idea of duplicating the questions looks promising from my perspective, as everything would have its place in the database and would only need a little JavaScript trickery to display properly.

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70240

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 748
If you're going the hidden question route how about instead of copying the question, insert a hidden multiple-numeric and use JavaScript to load it with the weighted scores.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Question weighting 2 years 8 months ago #70243

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
opeth4ever-

Expression Manager has the new 'Equation' question type. Its value is stored in the database, even if the question is hidden, so yes, those two weighted scores would be stored in the database.

-Tom
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds
Donation Image