Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file.

Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #69814

Hello!

Is there a way of finding out what is the problem with a LimeSurvey survey structure XML file, such that one might be able to fix it?

I have been trying to do edits to four similar surveys using a text editor that will find and replace across all four survey xml files at the same time. When I try to reimport them to Limesurvey, I get the error message,

"This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file."

I have visually inspected one of the xml files, but am not skillful enough to see what is wrong.

With many thanks,

Sacha
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #69857

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Which file type do you use? For Limesurvey use .lss file type.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #69859

Hi Mazi!

Thanks for replying so quickly :)

Yes, it is an .lss file.

Also, I have tried to attach it to this post in case anyone is kind enough to look at it, but have got the error message that the file was not found, which is odd.

C:\fakepath\05b-limesurvey_survey_34123.lss

Best,

Sacha
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by hint-of-citrus.

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #69863

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 787
Try attaching it with a .txt extension.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #69867

Hello tpartner,

Thanks for the suggestion.

It turns out the original .lss file is too big, so I'm trying to attach it here as a zip file.

File Attachment:

File Name: 05a-limesurvey_survey_43963.zip
File Size: 34 KB
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by hint-of-citrus.

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #70049

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Did you in any way modify the file?

What is your database encoding?

I get those errors on import:
Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: file:///C:/xampp/htdocs/limeSOURCE/limesurvey_current/tmp/05a-limesurvey_survey_43963.lss:9969: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding ! Bytes: 0x96 0x20 0x73 0x75 in C:\xampp\htdocs\limeSOURCE\limesurvey_current\admin\import_functions.php on line 1084

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: e to these organsiations using whatever method you would normally use with them in C:\xampp\htdocs\limeSOURCE\limesurvey_current\admin\import_functions.php on line 1084

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: ^ in C:\xampp\htdocs\limeSOURCE\limesurvey_current\admin\import_functions.php on line 1084

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\limeSOURCE\limesurvey_current\admin\import_functions.php on line 1090

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #70279

• atiut
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
I have had this problem with a very complex survey. I think that some of my "creative approach" could nor be written down in standard xml.

So you may want to consider rolling back your greatest and coolest questions (if any) and see if anything happens. Then you can re-create the questions at your destination.

If you have no idea where you were "too creative", just move the survey group by group. Hopefully only one will break

This might also help MAzi figure out what the issue is.

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #70313

Hello all,

Thank you for trying to help resolve my problem!

I did edit the xml files, using a text editor. I did not have 'restore points', so I cannot roll back. I will have to try doing the edits again.

I do not know what the encoding of the database is, but I will try to find out.

Best,

Sacha

Re: Error: This is not a valid LimeSurvey survey structure XML file. 2 years 9 months ago #70318

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
You have to be very careful when editing those files. You can break them easily.

I used notepad XML which worked quite well.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Donation Image