Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly?

Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68517

• gefaber
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello,

when the slider range is quite big - around 1000 or 2000 - then each pixel move of the slider results in a big change of the value.

Is there a possibility to enhance the slider somehow, so it will increase/decrease the value by the slider accuracy on each mousewheel turn? Only by 1 for example instead of by 12 or 13 or whatever matches one pixel.

Or if this is not so easy, what should I put into the onclick="" field of increase and decrease button to finetune the value by the slider-accuracy via two buttons?

Thanks for you help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68520

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
Not to second guess - but why do you even have a slider for such large variables? It seams - as you say - very imprecise. Why not just either input a number or devide the whole range with e.g. 100?
HTH
Andreas

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68525

• gefaber
  • Fresh Lemon
If there's no viable solution, I will do as you suggest and just use an input field - not that I haven't thought that myself already. It would still be nice to have the mouse wheel work with the slider.

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68571

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
I have never seen an HTML form which you could manipulate using the mouse wheel. Simply reduce the range and you are fine. If you need a scale from 1-2000 you can also increase the step size from 1 to 5 for example.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68575

• gefaber
  • Fresh Lemon
Nevermind, i will use an input field now.

But if I can think using a mouse wheel it should be possible to do this somehow anyway. Just think of the Zooming in Google Maps. It's Javascript and works just fine with the mouse wheel.

Or in many non-website programs it works. Volumechanging in Windows or Linux or in VLC-Player for example. Would be a nice feature of the slider in general, because it is the expected behaviour - at least I am used to this.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by gefaber.

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68578

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 868
gefaber wrote:
Nevermind, i will use an input field now.

But if I can think using a mouse wheel it should be possible to do this somehow anyway. Just think of the Zooming in Google Maps. It's Javascript and works just fine with the mouse wheel.

Or in many non-website programs it works. Volumechanging in Windows or Linux or in VLC-Player for example. Would be a nice feature of the slider in general, because it is the expected behaviour - at least I am used to this.
Myabe you can adapt this method:
forums.devshed.com/showpost.php?p=2548748&postcount=3

And just 2 remark:
- You can't compare google team from LS team ( We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software. ) for google : you can give money for some option, but they sell your data for marketing :)
- You can not compare web developpement ( all brower compatible) and non web developpment.

Denis :)

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68579

• gefaber
  • Fresh Lemon
I am very aware of the opensource, non-commercial character of this fine piece of software. And I thank you very much for that.

It's just that I have never used Javascript or jQuery before using Limesurvey. So I cannot implement new features myself. It's more trial and error - much more error, though. ;)

Just saying, that for the slider it would be generally a nice-to-have-feature, not only for my survey.

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68581

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 377
But if you look at google maps, you don't have an accuracy of 1000 or 2000 steps either.

It might be possible. I don't know. But I also don't see it very userfriendly. First of all you would have to explain how it works. Second, if you have more than one slider you must make sure that the right slider is changed and third: many users are not that good at using a mouse already (believe me, I have done quite a few usability studies and you won't believe how even experienced users sometimes struggle or have problems with eye-brain-finger coordination... ;-) ).

I think for such a big range and where you need quite some accuracy, the best solution (not only technically, but also from a users point of view) will be the input field. Doesn't look as nice as a slider, but does a way better job.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Mousewheel or Extra-Buttons to change slider-value slightly? 3 years 2 weeks ago #68584

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
gefaber wrote:
I am very aware of the opensource, non-commercial character of this fine piece of software. And I thank you very much for that.
You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Donation Image