Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!?

My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66826

• EliYah
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello,
My survey was deactivated without me copying the data. Now, the data doesn’t show up in the data entry screen. Is there a way to retrieve the data? The survey is still in my limesurvey account. Also, I have recently re-launched the survey on another group of participants; so, the survey is currently active again. Ideally, I would like to retrieve the data that I obtained from the survey's previous activation without harming or deactivating the second running. I don't care if when the data is retrieved, it is mixed with the second set of data. I am using version 1.90+. Thank you. :laugh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66828

• zenil79
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
If you haven't changed the questions (added a new question or deleted a question) of the survey , you should be able to get it back. Limesurvey automatically backs up survey data when you deactivate a survey and allows you to import that data back if you haven't made any major structural changes to the survey.

Select your survey. Click on "Browse Responses For This Survey",there click on "Import Answers from deactivated survey table"..You should see the deactivated tables, figure out and select which table you need to import the responses, and click on "Import responses"...If you haven't made any structural changes to the survey between deactivating and reactivating, it should work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EliYah

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66832

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Just as Zenil79 says, follow the instructions here in the manual:

docs.limesurvey.org/General+FAQ&structur..._deactivated_survey_
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66842

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Please set an expiry date at survey settings next time. It has the same effect and your data is still there.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66887

• EliYah
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks for the quick replies. However, before re-launching, I deleted a question. Will the retrieval still work?? (I don't want to retrieve the data on a changed and active survey without further consultation). Also, I don't care about the data for the deleted question, so long as the data for the other questions is retrieved. Thanks.

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66889

• zenil79
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
Since you have "structurally" modified the survey, this import will not work.
You have to login to the mydwl DB instance to manually copy the data from the old table to the new table.

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66890

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
This happens so often. I am wondering if it is a big deal to change this behaviour (in my opinion it is not logic).

There should be several states (besides de start and end date).

- Pause survey (with a message that the survey currently is not accessible)
- Stop/deactivate survey (table should not be moved anywhere)
- Archive (table can be moved - is basically what happens today when you deactivate).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66893

• EliYah
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, I think there should be more preventative measures in place. Also, deactivate survey means deactivate survey not delete data. As for my next question, how do you log in to the 'mydwl DB instance'? I do not know what or where that is.

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66894

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, as far as I know (never tried it myself because I am aware of the the problem) there is a clear warning. But still, from a usability point of few I don't think the current solution is good.

Re: My survey was deactivated and I lost the data. Can I get the data back!? 2 years 6 months ago #66917

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
holch wrote:
This happens so often. I am wondering if it is a big deal to change this behaviour (in my opinion it is not logic).
Have a look at the current CI branch which will be the next Limesurvey 2.0 release. We introduced a similar feature there:
Author: c_schmitz
Date: 2011-10-03 16:57:45 +0000 (Mon, 03 Oct 2011)
Log Message:
New feature: Ability to make last minute changes in the survey activation screen to settings that cannot be changed after activation anymore
New feature: In deactivation screen you can choose now between deactivation and expiration

Link: limesurvey.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/li...ision&revision=11084

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Donation Image