Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66680

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
Well, they are somehow combined, but only in the data base. For each column/line combination (each field) there should be one column in the database, if I am not totally wrong. Combining them would only be possible when analysed outside of Limesurvey, but that should be the same behaviour for most survey systems. What may be possible is to write the joined results into a field. Maybe this would even be possible to do so with INSERTANS in a text field, but I am not sure.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebulous

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66681

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
I think I'm much closer. I used "Array, Dual Answer" for my question type, chose to use drop-downs, set the header for my first scaled as "Week" and the header for my second scaled as "Day" in the advanced settings. I can now has someone select the week and the day. I just can't add the time of day. I guess I need "Array, Triple Scale" with drop-downs, but that doesn't exist :-(.

I've attached a screenshot of what that looks like.

BTW, "Concatenated" is more like what I meant.

I like the idea of using something like INSERTANS to pop them together into a field, and I conceptually understand what that would do, but figuring out how to accomplish it is beyond my technical skill.

I can analyze the data in Excel alright, as long as there will be something to tell me that Week 1, Tuesday, and 2:00pm belong together for a single response - and that it's a preferred time.

I still haven't figured out how to even add three text drop-downs to the right of a single question in an array.

I have upgraded since I mentioned it earlier, BTW. I do see that the current stable version has "drop down" as an advanced setting for Array, but only a single drop-down, not 3.

~N
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Nebulous.

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66684

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, there would always be the option to join all 3 timings into one dropdown. If I didn't do any mistake in my calculation that would mean a total of 80 options. I guess you don't want to do that for usability reasons and I understand that (would be the easiest way - you can even style the dropdown answers via categories (eg. for week and for day). docs.limesurvey.org/Question+type+-+List...9#Category_separator

Or you just join two, e.g. Week and day or day and hour. It is only a compromise, but it would be probably one of the easiest solutions.

Now, if you want to go the full way and have all 3 date sets in a dropdown and all in one field, then there will be only one chance from my point of view: create the dropdowns and write them into one field (concatenate, as you said).

Or you create 3 single choice questions for each of your subquestions (preferred date, other date 1, 2, 3, etc.).

So for "preferred date" you would have the results in 3 columns (week, day and hour). Then in Excel you just have to go to those results and you could use the concatenate feature there to join them into an additional column.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66690

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 787
Nebulous, given that you don't mind concatenating in Excel, I would create 9 separate single-choice-dropdown questions with question codes "week1", "day1", "time1", "week2", "day2", "time2"...

As Holch says, each of these questions would have its own column in the Excel export and you could concatenate them according the the appended numeral in the question code.

For display purposes you could use JavaScript/CSS to align each set of three questions side-by side so they look like an array. Let me know which template you are using and I'll put together a small script to align the questions (it would make it easier if these 9 question were the only dropdowns on the page).
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66692

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
Tony and Hotch - You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Tony - It makes sense (as in"why didn't I think of that?) now that you say it. Taking the long when to get to a short goal, I was!

I appreciate you being willing to do the js. The template I'm using is business_grey.

Thanks again!

~N

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66701

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Nebulous wrote:
Tony and Hotch - You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Tony - It makes sense (as in"why didn't I think of that?) now that you say it. Taking the long when to get to a short goal, I was!

I appreciate you being willing to do the js. The template I'm using is business_grey.

Thanks again!

~N
You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66724

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 787
1) Set up your survey to use JavaScript.

2) Add the following script to the source of one of the dropdown questions. The script adds some classes to the dropdown questions so you can manipulate them with CSS.
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">

$(document).ready(function(){
		// Add some classes for manipulation
		$('.list-dropdown').addClass('inlineQ');
		var count = 1;
		$('.inlineQ').each(function(){
			$(this).addClass('inlineQ'+count);
			count++
			if(count == 4) {
				count = 1;
			}
		});
	});
</script>

3) Add the following the the end of template.css:
.inlineQ {
	float: left;
	margin: 0 0 6px 0;
    width: 32.5%;
	border: 1px solid #EEEEEE;
}

.inlineQ1 {
	margin-left: 5px;
}

.inlineQ1,
.inlineQ2 {
	border-right: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ2,
.inlineQ3 {
	border-left: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ table {
	width: auto;
	margin: 0 2px;
	border: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ .questionhelp,
.inlineQ .questionCode {
	display: none;
}

.inlineQ p.question {
	margin: 2px 0;
}

Capture3_2011-10-04.PNG
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66757

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
Tony:

Wow, that looks like it will work great! I can't try it now - I have a missing field input box issue that I just submitted in the "Installation & upgrade" forum. It's preventing me from being able to create the survey at the moment.

Because I need to get this thing done, I went over to Surv** ***key to see if they could accommodate my needs for this time.

They actually do provide the type of array that I was looking for. See the attached screenshot where I quickly created my array just as I originally described it and mocked it up in Excel.

I would never use them regularly - I love hosting my own, and I don't like giving them peoples' email addresses. But Holch had said he didn't think any survey system provided this, so I thought I'd point it out.

They call the question type "Matrix Of Drop-Downs Menus."

~N
Attachments:

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66758

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thanks for letting us know. To be honest, I haven't looked around a lot lately. Good to know that they have something like that, should be a good motivation to get at least equal there...

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 2 years 11 months ago #66760

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
If I can get this thing working by EOD tomorrow, though, I'm going to roll my own. I'd rather do it myself, and besides I don't want to waste your and Tony's support efforts!

I'll need to opt for SM, though, if it gets too involved. I really do appreciate all you've done.

If I were in a place of contributing some $$ toward the project, I would do so. At the moment, things are extremely tight. I expect that to change in the very near future and I won't forget.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Donation Image