Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution

Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66660

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
I'm a novice LimeSurvey user who hosts the survey on my own site. I've successfully (but slowly) created and administered one quite complex survey. That was several months ago, and now I need to create a pretty simple survey. But I can't figure out what question type to use.

I think I need an array with drop-downs. But I may be wrong on that. If so, I'm sure I don't need dual scale, but that seems to be the only type of array that has a drop-down option.

Here's what I want to accomplish:
I'm part of a group that meets monthly. We wonder if we could get better attendance if we changed our meeting time. So I want to ask everyone what their preferred meeting time is and also other meeting times that would work.

I see this laid out in three questions:
  1. What is your preferred week of the month, day of the week, and time of day to meet?

2. What is your second preferred week/day/time?

3. What is your third preferred week/day/time?

For each question, I want three drop-downs that will be reported as a single answer.
  • Week (1, 2, 3, 4)
  • Day (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)
  • Time (9:00, 10:00, 2:00, 3:00)

I want my report to show all of the first preference weeks/days/times, then all the other possibilities. Please note: I'm having difficulty making this clear, but it's important that the week/day/time remain together as a single answer ("Week 1, Monday @ 9:00" rather than "Week 1" and "Monday" and "9:00" standing by themselves, since someone may not prefer Week 1 if it's on Tuesday, etc. Hopefully that makes sense).

How can I best accomplish this?

Thanks!

~N
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66668

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 826
I think you will need to use Array (Numbers) questions and JavaScript to dynamically replace the displayed text for the options.

Hava a look at this post - www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/can-i-do-thi...dropdown-boxes#58244
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebulous

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66670

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
Tony - Thank you for your reply. The link you posted at the top of that discussion is no longer valid.

It is fair to say, though, that I have the same need as Usapuka, and also the same disclaimers about being now and not knowing very much about JS. I can insert and tweak code, though.

Without the original that you pointed Usapuka to, though, I don't have enough context to go on.

Also, I have been told (in the chat room) that an array with drop-downs is available in the current version of LimeSurvey. I'm using v. 1.90, Build 9642. I see a link to upgrade to Administration -- Logged in as: jbbryant Update available: 1.91+(11026). I haven't upgraded since I started, and I'm not sure how risky it is. I'd prefer to hold off until after this survey is done.

Thanks for continued help!

~N

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66672

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 377
I think the problem is that you want/need to use the online reporting of Limesurvey, right? If you would analyse the results after the survey in Excel for example, there would be no problem to use separate questions, because you can always get over that during analysis.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66674

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
@Holch - Well, maybe.

I've attached a screenshot of a (very) quick and (very) dirty mock-up of what I want in Excel.

Is this just a matter of manipulating the data in Excel afterward?

After the survey results are collected, I'm going to want to see all week/data/times that were selected, rule out the one-offs, and choose the most frequent ones listed - trying to please as many peoples' first choice as possible.

~N
Attachments:

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66675

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
(correcting my typo: ":ohmy: week/day/times"

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66676

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
I don't see how you could do this with the standard question types of Limesurvey. However, to be honest, I don't know any survey system that offers that (but I don't know the all, of course... ;-)).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66677

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
@tpartner - Do you see a way to replicate my mock-up in LimeSurvey using your method of modifying a numerical array with JavaScript?

@holch - I appreciate your attempts!

~N

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66678

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
But even if you would modify the numerical array with Javascript, it would be like 3 subquestions and they would be shown differently. The only chace that I see is to create the dropdowns in HTML, read them via Javascript and write the joined results into a text field.

But maybe Tony has a better idea.

Re: Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution 3 years 1 month ago #66679

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
@holch:

Yes, I see what you mean by that. In other words, the survey tool can't combine three answers to a single question into one answer (so that in my screenshot the use's answer for Question 1 would be "Week 1, Tuesday, 2PM."

Do I understand correctly?

Somehow I thought they would all be associated with a single question code and thus would be combined as a single answer.

~N
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Donation Image