Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics

Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66313

I'm on V1.91 and am trying to find a way of providing two additional options "Unsure" and "Prefer not to answer" on a numeric field.

For example, for the question "How tall are you" I need the numeric input field and something like two radio buttons for the "Unsure" and "Prefer not to answer"

One possible solution for this is in the doc under "Multiple question types in array".

May questions are:

1) is this the best way of resolving this
2) How can I make the answers mutually exclusive

Thanks,

Leo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66328

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 827
I wouldn't use radios - there is no way to de-select both after clicking one.

I would use two questions - a numeric followed by a multiple options with two sub-questions. You can use CSS to make the questions appear as one and JavaScript to clear the numeric input if either of the checkboxes are clicked.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66348

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
The simplest solution is to ask two questions like:
"Do you know how tall you are?"
[no]
[unsure]
[Prefer not to answer]
[yes] -> I "yes" was chosen, use conditions to show a following numerical question.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66398

Thanks Mazi. Good suggestion. Only problem I have is that I can't change the question as it's already signed off by an Ethics group.

Thanks,

Leo

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66412

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, the answer to a numeric question is always a number. You could write at the help text that e.g. "0" means "no answer" and entereing "99" will be evaluated as "unsure" or similar.
Besides that there is not much you can do if you don't want to change the survey design.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66491

Just to make it clear, your suggestion is great and work. The shortcoming here user related:-)

Thanks for you help

Leo

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66505

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66597

Off topic, but am happy to donate. Just need to figure out how to do this most tax effective from Australia

Re: Option of "Prefer not to answer" and "Unsure" on numerics 3 years 1 month ago #66646

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
You can use the payment system from our website. You'll receive a receipt which can be used for your accounting I guess.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image