Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject

Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64831

• mlapl1
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello

I have the following situation.

I am conducting a survey on research projects conducted by individuals and groups.

The number of projects engaged in by each person is indeterminate. It could be 1 or it could be 20 or more. I would like a survey to be filled in for each project, but I would prefer it if the researcher were not obliged to repeatedly enter their personal information.

At the moment, I have solved this by limiting the number of projects to be described to 5 and creating 5 groups of identical surveys only one of which is mandatory. This way people can describe up to 5 projects. However, this is not very satisfactory.

Is there some way in which I could provide a button which would say something like "Click here to describe another project" and for another set of survey questions to be provided? This way, people could report on one project or 100 (well... a big number anyway).

I hope the above description of the problem is clear. Thanks very much for your help. I am using the very latest version of limewire.

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64834

• claudio123
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
You could use "conditions":
After your questions to the project you can add a yes/no question ("Is there another project you would like to describe?") and depending on the answer you show the next stack of questions to a project, ending with another yes/no question.
Only show question IF [number /title of question] is "yes".

This will however need you to prepare your survey to ask for all of the possible number of projects.

Hope that helps,

regards
claudio
... lost in brackets ...
(I suggest a preview option for posting in the forum)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlapl1

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64842

• mlapl1
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi Claudio,

Thank you very much. Yes I suspected that something like this would be one of the possibilities but the disadvantage is, as you say, that I would have to prepare a large number of question stacks. This is not a huge problem as I would use the copy function but it does not provide a solution for an indeterminate number of projects. I may have to resort to that solution though if there is no other.

Thanks again
Andrew

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64843

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 740
Unfortunately there is no easier solution than Claudios. All questions (and therefor all database columns) must be defined before survey activation.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlapl1

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64844

• mlapl1
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you very much. I will follow up along those lines.

Cheers
Andrew

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64845

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 285
And then, I guess none of your participants has infinit time or resources. So there must be a finit number of projects... ;-)

Usually a respondents patience also is finit. So I guess no one will be willing to fill in information about 100 or more research projects.

So I guess it makes sense to limit the amount of numbers anyway. I mean - 100 research projects, assuming that your respondents work 365 days a year, this would mean there is a total of about 3,5 days for each project (or 87,6 hours, assuming that the person works not only 365 days, but also 24/7...). Not very realistic, right? ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by holch.

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64846

• mlapl1
  • Fresh Lemon
hahaha!! of course... :) I was just looking for a general solution.

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Aw: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64847

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 285
yes, I know. It would be nice to have such a feature anyway. But as long as this isn't implemented we'll have to copy and paste. But then there are other things more important to implement.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Generating questions dynamically - sorry for bad formulation of Subject 2 years 11 months ago #64850

• atiut
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
Maybe you can spread one researcher through several tokens. Once researcher gjfggh reaches project 5, (s)he would see a link to the survey with token gjfggh01, where the redundant information would be carried over thru the link and self-filled in the new survey.

Of course, having tokens gjfggh01 to gjfggh99 in the database beforehand would be a good idea. You can also use a workaround to "create tokens on the fly". You can find it with the other workarounds in the documentation, but I understand it poses a security risk.

There are some disadvantages to breaking a survey in parts. You can maybe mitigate the strangeness by using some javascript to links so that in part 3 you can at any time open part 1 and part 2 in a new tab.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Donation Image