Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English?

How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64773

I've created a new survey with many questions in English. Now I want to add several languages so I can ask questions to people around the world.

Is there an automatic way of doing this? Any method beyond going to each question, selecting the language, copying and pasting from my document, etc? That works, of course, but it's extremely tedious.

Thanks,
K
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64776

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 309
Yup, but that is how it works. There was once an approach to build a better translation interface, but I don't know to which extend this works already.

What you might be able to create the do is to export the survey as XML and then copy and paste, but I guess you won't be able to get around some tedious work.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64778

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
The translation feature works pretty well (e.g. only a few clicks to translate an entire survey), but it does have a bug in it. I just used it to translate an English survey into German. It shows all of the question and answer text and does a pretty good job. The only problem is that I have single and double quotes in some of my questions/answers, and they aren't properly escaped, so the AJAX commands to do the translations for those sections fail (due to mal-formed JavaScript).

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64782

I think this is more of what I'm looking for (not an ideal solution, but an easier way to copy and paste).

However, my client says there is (was?) a bug that when using this “Quick Add” in multi-language surveys, all languages are overwritten -- so now I'm worried about that!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by kevinashworth.

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64787

• paulfiner
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
You could make a copy of your survey and try the quick translation on the copied version.

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64789

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 801
kevinashworth wrote:
However, my client says there is (was?) a bug that when using this “Quick Add” in multi-language surveys, all languages are overwritten -- so now I'm worried about that!

Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release. If so please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...
  1. Give as much information as possible
  2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.
  3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.
  4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!

:)

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64792

• c_schmitz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 104
Btw, Quick-Add is NOT Quick-translation. There was once a bug in Quick-Add but that has been corrected. Quick-translation works fine except maybe for the issue pointed out by TMSWhite. (Thomas, if it still exists, can you please report it to the bugtracker?)
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: How to add many languages once survey is properly built in English? 3 years 1 week ago #64821

Yes, a little confusing with "Quick Add" v "Quick-tran slation".

The bug in question has been "resolved," but it's still quite confusing to new users.

How to duplicate the problem: Make an English survey, all ready to go. Add another language, go to Quick Add and type in a bunch of translated subquestions, click Replace, and your English gets overwritten. That seems like a bug to me, but it's listed as "resolved." As I scoured answers.js, it dawned on me that you have to do something else.

If you had done a Quick Add with the following as your English subquestions when you built the survey:

a;Apple
b;Boy
c;Cowboy
d;Dog

then you might think you can go in, select the Spanish tab, and type in

Manzana
Chico
Vaquero
Perro

Of course, that leads to the buggy result as I've mentioned. But if you type in this for Quick Add / Replace instead, it works quite well:

a;Apple;Manzana
b;Boy;Chico
c;Cowboy;Vaquero
d;Dog;Perro

I hope this helps others dealing with the same problem!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by kevinashworth.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Donation Image