Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Have the Resume Later button close the window on OK

Have the Resume Later button close the window on OK 3 years 2 months ago #63489

• pelle
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking for a minor hack to get the Resume Later button close the window just as when you are done with the survey? I have seen this issue before on this forum but no fix. Any suggestions somebody?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Have the Resume Later button close the window on OK 3 years 2 months ago #63504

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Not sure if issue and fix are the right words. Since I don't use the resume function every day feel free to correct me if I got it wrong in the next paragraphs.

The resume later button if often redirecting to the form where you have to enter username password. Your users seem to be logged in from the start, right?

From a technical standpoint:
To close a window, it needs to be an additional window.
If your respondents are clicking on an invitation link inside an email or a link on a website the windows ins't open via javascript. You want to close the browser windows via a button (to be more precise: a javascript triggered by a html form button). You would need to make sure that the survey is opened via javascript to be able to close it via javascript.
<a href="javascript:window.close();">Close Window</a>

From time to time workaround occur which force a browser to close the tab/window without the precondition "tab/window opened by javascript".

E.g.: www.yournewdesigner.com/css-experiments/...w-close-firefox.html

Since these tricks are based on browser bugs they won't work long and not across all browsers.

The problem with opening a windows via javascript is that they are "popups". And popups are mostly blocked by browsers these days.

IMHO we shouldn't overcontrol the user experience. Since the invention of tabs I don't feel that users are unhappy that they need to close unused tabs.

Re: Aw: Have the Resume Later button close the window on OK 3 years 2 months ago #63558

• pelle
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for youre answer. I will consider.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Donation Image