Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password

Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 4 months ago #63246

Hi,

Can I hide the survey 'owner' field in the 'List Surveys' page for a user with all user rights turned off?

Also, is there a way to have a user who cannot change their password? (to use with a demo account, access to which is given to different people).

thanks in advance for any help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 4 months ago #63348

I can probably cover the 2nd part of my question by setting up a seperate demo with a locked down database.

First part seems like it should be that way by default. Why show a user without rights who the survey owner is and a list of all users on the system? Letting all users know the other user names, including administrator name, isn't ideal behaviour.

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 4 months ago #63349

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 273
by setting up a seperate demo with a locked down database.
I'm not sure if you have already valued the optional security settings:
$demoModeOnly: If this option is set to true, then LimeSurvey will go into demo mode. The demo mode changes the following things:
Disables changing of the admin user's details and password
Disables uploading files on the template editor
Disables sending email invitations and reminders
Disables doing a database dump
Disables the ability to save the following global settings: Site name, Default language, Default Htmleditor Mode, XSS filter

Ressource: docs.limesurvey.org/Optional+settings#Security
Benoît

goo.gl/Bw5iM => Recherche GG dans le forum français (remplacer "exemple" dans la barre de recherche)
goo.gl/WX8PH => GG search for english forum (Replace "example" in the search bar)
goo.gl/IxiGu => Búsqueda en el foro en español (Cambiar "ejemplo" en la barra de...
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Ben_V.

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 4 months ago #63358

Thanks Benitov, will definitely use that for the demo version.

For the live version, where I would like either no 'owner' to be visible in the 'list surveys' page (when viewed by a user with all rights unticked), or that at least they don't see a list of everyone on the system when they click to try edit the owner, the following on the same page seems like it should in theory work...

"usercontrolSameGroupPolicy : set to true by default. By default non admin users defined in the LimeSurvey management interface will only be able to see other users if they belong to at least one group this user belongs to."

...however, after checking this is true in both config file and in global settings, it still is allowing the 'no-privileges' user to see a list of all users (I have created a user group just for this user, so this should, by the above description, mean they can't see everyone outside the group).

Am I missing something obvious here?

I noticed while doing this that the main admin user is placed by default in any new group created and it doesn't look like they can be removed from a group.

thanks

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 4 months ago #63460

Just out of interest then, what exactly does the usercontrolSameGroupPolicy setting change, if it doesn't stop 'non-admin users' from seeing other users?

I take it a "non-admin user" is one with no ticks on the 'Set user rights' page?

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 1 month ago #66157

No takers?

Do I need to post this somewhere different as a bug? Seems like a bug to me.

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 1 month ago #66171

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
sheddington wrote:
"usercontrolSameGroupPolicy : set to true by default. By default non admin users defined in the LimeSurvey management interface will only be able to see other users if they belong to at least one group this user belongs to."

...however, after checking this is true in both config file and in global settings, it still is allowing the 'no-privileges' user to see a list of all users (I have created a user group just for this user, so this should, by the above description, mean they can't see everyone outside the group).
Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release. If so please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...
  1. Give as much information as possible
  2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.
  3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.
  4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 1 month ago #66185

Re: Hiding Survey 'Owner' Detail & Preventing User Changing Password 3 years 1 month ago #66378

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
Thanks for reporting bugs. This problem will be solved at the next (weekly) release with build number > 11054

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Donation Image