Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How many users can LimeSurvey Support

How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #61815

• Helenmd
  • Junior Lime
Hi,

We are looking to make a lot of our evaluation questionnaires available via LimeSurvey.

I have been asked to find out how scaleable LimeSurvey is? Can it handle a few thousand people doing the same survey at (roughly) the same time? I'm sure I've seen the answer posted here and thought I'd contributed to a thread but I can't for the life of me find it!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #61894

• pwmowers
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
As far as I know, the number of individuals who may be completing a survey at one time is only limited by the number of concurrent connections allowed to the database and the speed of your webserver. Some ISP's throttle the number of MySQL connections to prevent delays, but if you are hosting the survey and have the database optimized, there might not be any effective limits.

The concurrency occurs when multiple requests are being handled at the same time. Many more people can be accessing the database than the limit, because the web server opens a connection, submits the query to the database to retrieve the survey, receives the results and then terminates the connection. when the survey is submitted, the server reopens a connection, submits the survey and closes the connection. The time the individual spends completing the surveydoes not count, only the time spent communicating between the server and the database.

Re: How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #61900

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 320
I assume with "user" you are referring to respondents taking the survey and not users that can log in to limesurvey.

Here is a thread (quite old, I know), about performance:

www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/development/...-performance-testing

Maybe you can ask Luke here how his performance tests worked out. He wanted to report back, but I don't know if he did:
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/development/...ey-performance-tests
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #61932

• pwmowers
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
Sorry, you are correct, when I said users, I meant respondents.

Re: How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #61934

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 320
Well, it is not incorrect to call the respondents users, they are somehow. I just think that sometimes it is convenient to be more specific, especially as Limesurvey can have different types of users and so it is not 100% clear. I your case I was pretty sure that respondents were meant. I just wanted to make sure, that we are talking about the same thing. ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: How many users can LimeSurvey Support 3 years 3 months ago #62106

• Helenmd
  • Junior Lime
Thank you all for your comments. I did mean respondents.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
Donation Image