Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I can't show question numbers or codes ?

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 4 days ago #114089

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 826
Using those settings and that template, it should work. Can you activate a test survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 4 days ago #114100

• zer0mode
  • Fresh Lemon
It works. First I though the reason are the scripts integrated in some of the questions, but in fact I confused the general settings and the survey settings.

This brings another issue. Certain questions in the survey attached are "customised" - they have one or two following questions integrated as columns and therefore their question numbers appear in columns, whereas they shouldn't. Furthermore, all the question numbering down the line messes up because of this.

limeQN2.png

The simplest solution would be to mark those integrated questions with a help of javascript as "non relevant for question numbering" I suppose. I have no idea how the script would look like.

Another option would be to correct already used script so a question would be copied/transferred in the column of a previous question by leaving out the "th" definition, that is to say the question name. But I think the question itself would be still counted as any other regular question so it's not really a solution.

A sample survey is attached, the scripts used for tailoring are included.

And something else appeared: in certain questions a new line is created right behind the question number.

limeQN1.png

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_754165.lss
File Size: 122 KB

I hope all this makes sense.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by zer0mode. Reason: few grammar corrections

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 3 days ago #114148

• zer0mode
  • Fresh Lemon
Concerning the new line after a question number the problem were whitespace characters which appeared out of nowhere inside the paragraph tags. So instead:
<p>
	My question</p>
should be:
My question

Maybe this has something to do with the option "Hide tip" in the question advanced settings. However, if that happens deleting everything around the question text (including the <p> tags) will help.

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 3 days ago #114156

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Can you activate a test survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 2 days ago #114158

• zer0mode
  • Fresh Lemon
The link to the test survey. It's similar to the .lss I posted in my last post.

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 2 days ago #114161

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
After looking at the survey I think that, while you could solve all of the problems with JavaScript, it would be far simpler to manually place he question numbers in the text.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 2 days ago #114165

• zer0mode
  • Fresh Lemon
In fact I started doing that by using {Qcode.qseq} and {Qcode.qseq - n}, where n is a constant used for subtracting.

It's a viable alternative when the survey contains up to 20 or 30 questions. In my case there will be about 70 or 80 questions. A lot of javascript tailoring is used which means all the structure is flexible and I won't really know the exact number of questions just until the survey is launched. If I had to add or remove a question at the beginning that would mean all the qseq codes or the manually set numbers would have to be corrected.

That's why the idea of flagging all the non relevant questions for numbering is not bad. In fact this flag should be accessible in the question advanced setting in one of the next LS versions. Users could then exclude numbering from boilerplate questions and in other situations, like mine for example.

Re: I can't show question numbers or codes ? 2 weeks 1 day ago #114207

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
Coding a sequential numbering when using conditions is nearly impossible. E.g. when having conditions to show/hide questions on the same page this requires updating the question numbers for all questions on that page if an additional question is shown due to conditions.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Donation Image