Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

same user across multiple surveys?

• titanium_bb
  • titanium_bb's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 4 days ago #58679 by titanium_bb
same user across multiple surveys? was created by titanium_bb
Hey guys, we've done our first successful survey, but now need to expand.
So we have one private survey still running, but now are adding a new one. Ideally, a person could "log in" and do survey #2, and the data would be associated with their responses to #1.

I see, though after asking customer service here (thank you, you guys are awesome), that there isn't really an "account" but the user does have a token from #1.

So for this new survey #2, how can I get the user to take the new survey associated with their previous token?

Background:
Survey #1 was an application for ordering a medical test. #2 is for a different test. Ideally, I'd like to be able to make reports on combined #1 and #2 together, cause they are similar medical tests with similar symptoms, and test results.

Also ideally, I'd like to be able to put the results of the test (or have the user go back in and enter the results of the medical test. Seems like I can go back in and insert a few subquestion fields in, and enter the data manually. (?)

I'm a total beginner here but learning and appreciate the service so far!

I think my first and main question is, if they have a token already how do I get that token into the new survey #2, and give them a link to it? Does it need to be done manually where I look up their token and send them it each time? Or is this something that can be auto generated?

I have basic PHP knowledge and could splice together a link or something, but thats all I can think of. My solution so far was adding a box above the new survey that says "if you have taken a survey with us before, please enter your email here"... then it pulls the token and makes a link for them?

Any help is appreciated. The end goal of this is to have a fairly large database of these new medical tests and their associated results, which can be used to apply for grants. I guess I'll need help linking the surveys together to make reports later too?

Anyway, step 1... how to get survey #2 going with user's token?
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 2 days ago - 13 years 1 day ago #58800 by rwalker
Replied by rwalker on topic same user across multiple surveys?
I might have a similar challenge...

I am even more novice than you, but have the same question re: tracking student data over extended period of time.

(I'm lucky I was able to install LimeSurvey on GoDaddy via MySQL with my limited knowledge.)

(i.e.: report card data, question responses, parent surveys, etc.)

Any tips, tricks, templates, etc. would be appreciated! I'm hoping to have STUDENT A tracked over the course of at least four years if possible and surveyed (or data manually input) at least 2-4 times per year. I was able to design my report card data tool as an array question for one semester.

I'd love to track such data over 16 semesters.

Please help.

In Service,

Ray Walker
Stokes Foundation
Last edit: 13 years 1 day ago by DenisChenu. Reason: remove link and mail
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
13 years 1 day ago #58803 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic same user across multiple surveys?
Hello,

For titanium_bb : mayve you can trye to use an attribute with the token inside and use the endurl to launch the second survey with the good token.

Something like that :
yoururl/index.php?sid=xxxx&token={TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1}
But your survey need to be not anonymous.

rwalker : Tou need one survey each month ? If you put survey not anonymous, it's seems to be OK for me ?
Maybe with iterate survey if it's the same survey : docs.limesurvey.org/Iterate+Survey

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
10 years 1 month ago #104281 by MarcellavZ
Replied by MarcellavZ on topic same user across multiple surveys?
Hello everybody,

I have a question that is in line with the previous ones. For my research I made 3 surveys. Participants need to start with survey 1 via a link. They need to give me their e-mail address so it is not anonymous. Now I want, that on the end of survey one there is a link to survey 2. Well I know that that is no problem, but I would like that the surveys are linked together so that I know which answers are from who. At the end of survey 2 there needs to be a link to survey 3 and there I have the same problem....

So my question is, is there a way that I can link all the surveys together so that I know that for example participant 50 filled up survey 1, 2 and 3 so that I can compare the surveys. It has to do with a pre- and after measurement. And also I would like to send reminders to the participant (that's why the e-mail address) for when they haven't filled up the questionnaires yet. Is this possible and if so, how?

If you can help me anyway it would be great because I am stuck big time....

Thanks!
  • holch
More
10 years 1 month ago #104284 by holch
Replied by holch on topic same user across multiple surveys?
You could pass on either an ID or even better the email address via the end URL and store it in a hidden question in the next survey. This way you can match responses over the several questionnaires.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
10 years 1 month ago #104290 by MarcellavZ
Replied by MarcellavZ on topic same user across multiple surveys?
Hello Holch!

Wow, that would be really great. But does that goes automatically because I don't send invites to people because than I need to do everything manually and with the number of respondents I need that would be impossible. I don't know in advance who is participating... That is all possible via the suggestion you described above? How do I do that?

Thanks for your help! It made my day already!
  • holch
More
10 years 1 month ago #104303 by holch
Well, as I understood you, the respondents are supposed to respond each 3 surveys directly one after the other, right? I am not sure why you don't do everthing in one survey, but I guess you have your reasons.

But if they really should respond the surveys one after the other, you don't need any invitations or anything. The end-URL feature will redirect the respondents directly from the first survey to the second survey and if you pass some kind of identification to the next survey and store it there, this should be working quite well.

It would work like this:
1. You provide a link to the first, totally open survey.
2. People click and fill out the first survey
3. You use either the email, or the savedid from the first survey and pass it on to the next survey via de endurl feature, which will redirect the respondents directly to survey 2. They won't even see the link.
4. People fill the second survey and at the end, again, they are redirected to another survey. You need, again, pass on the ID/email that you have used before to identify them to the next survey via the end URL.

As you see, you are basically not involved in this process. The only concern is that some might skip out between surveys, especially if they are relatively long. But that is another topic.

How to pass on information from one survey to the next should be described in the manual or you'll find it here in the forum for sure. Maybe the panel feature helps.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132734 by Mariebottine
Replied by Mariebottine on topic same user across multiple surveys?
Hello!

I'm really happy to see this subject already there! I'm new to Lime survey, and I have a similar challenge.

I'm creating two different surveys which will be filled by students : one before an internship and the other one after it.
I'd liked the answers to be linked between surveys, but to keep them anonymous. Ex : I want to know what respondant A answered in survey #1 and survey #2, but I don't want to know who respondant A is.

What would be the best way to do this? In what I understand, I could use tokens, but then answers would be linked to emails, so it wouldn't be anonymous. I could maybe use ID, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Since both surveys are not done one after the other (the delay between surveys vary from one person to the other), I'll have to send the link for the 2nd survey. To keep that anonymous, I could make sure the person who sends that email is not the same that will analyse the results. But is there a way to do that and keep data anonymous? (no email attached to data or anything that could identify the respondant)

Thanks a lot for your answers, it will be really helpful!
  • holch
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132762 by holch
There is no way to link two surveys completely anonymous if they are not really one after the other. Or if you provide the link or a code to the second survey directly after the first survey, with the risk that the respondents forget about it.

So either you make it "anonymous" by guaranteeing your respondents that you will not connect their responses to their personal data. If you need to guarantee absolute annonymity (there is 100% no way to identify the respondent), then I don't see a chance for what you are trying to do. You could think of creating a "digital fingerprint", but I don't think they really work today. People have many different devices and this makes it basically impossible to track them over various surveys.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132767 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic same user across multiple surveys?

Mariebottine wrote: In what I understand, I could use tokens, but then answers would be linked to emails, so it wouldn't be anonymous. I could maybe use ID, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I see no difference between a ID or a token?

Since you want to compare the results of the survey before and after the internship you will need a matching id between these two surveys of every respondent. Technically you could do a lot of different things, but nearly everytime at one step the respondent has to trust you to not match certain parts of the survey data.
If there are a lot of interns at the same period of time you could ask them to exchange there URL with token. So the connection between token and email is gone. But you would then need to provide both survey links at once. And as holch said this involves that respondents won't remember the second url link.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #132771 by holch
One thing: If you can give the participants a CODE or token physically (e.g. on a paper) you could create tokens with dummy emails and pass out the token (would need to be the same for both surveys, of course).

However, there is still the problem that they might forget the token, loose the paper, etc.

You could send them the token via email, but then there is not much difference between using the token system to send the emails, because you could always identify the person through the email you sent, if you want to.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #132857 by Mariebottine
Replied by Mariebottine on topic same user across multiple surveys?
Thanks a lot for your answers holch and jelo.

From what I understood, the simpliest ways of doing it would be one of the following :
1) Two non-anonymous surveys linked, using tokens. I could then ensure anonymity by another way (ex : person A sending emails could extract data and remove emails from it before sending it to person B, who will analyse it)
2) Creating tokens with dummy emails, as holch said. And again, person A would send the email and person B would analyze data (without knowing which token has been sent to who).

Did I get it well?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose