Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it

Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58380

• akvik
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,

I have a problem I can't solve myself, so I'm hoping some of you experts can!

The situtation:
  1. The first question asks them to pick one or more (X) items from a list of say, 5 items.
  2. The second question will be repeated X times, depending on the number of itmes they have chosen. This question is the same for all items, besides the fact that they are possible to link back to each respective item in the result.

Question:
Can this be done without copying the 2nd question 5 times in the survey, but instead having one question repeat X times?

The reason I'm asking is that the 2nd question have a LOT of parameters, which will result in a report with a lot of columns (about 9x80=720 columns). On top of that, an array will produce a very cluttered interface if I just included all the items as columns in the 2nd question. The best option is if they could concentrate on one item at a time.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58383

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 331
Hi Akvik, I didn't quite get what the problem is with the many parameters, could you give an example, eg. an example of both questions?

As far as I know, there is no possibility to repeat the same question various times according to the number chosen in the question before.

On the other hand, the problem with the columns you will have always, because no matter whether you repeat the same question or not, you will need to write each answer into the database seperatly, otherwise you would overwrite the first response, which makes little sense. but maybe I just got the problem wrong.

My solution would be to have the second question as many times as they could choose the first question and then hide and show the question via conditions.

But then, this might not be possible due to the question structure you were mentioning and I didn't understand so far... ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58386

• akvik
  • Fresh Lemon
thanks for swift reply holch!

I understand the confusion -- It's difficult to explain and maybe I'm getting it wrong, too. My aim is to avoid getting the result data stacked in columns but instead in rows - also it's good database practice to not duplicate when it's not necessary.

I made a survey using the setup you suggest, and it works, but it is not so practical, and can potentially create a data set that is very "wide" -- an example:

I wanted the result data organised like this:
   Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5
X1 ** ** ** ** **
X2 ** ** ** ** **
X3 ** ** ** ** **
X2 ** ** ** ** **

.. instead of like this:
   Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 
X1 ** ** ** ** ** -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
X2 -- -- -- -- -- ** ** ** ** ** -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
X3 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ** ** ** ** **
X2 -- -- -- -- -- ** ** ** ** ** -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 

The solution would have been a simple array set if it weren't for my need to only have them fill out the sets of their selected Xs.

I'll make an attempt to exemplify it in a hands-on analogy:
You have 10 cars and you want the customers to express what they think about them with 100 questions for each car. The 100 questions are the same for all cars. Only thing is that they have all tried different cars, so you have them choose which ones they tried. Some tried one, others tried 7, or all of them.

I want to make a survey like this where the customers doesn't have to deal with the cars they haven't tried. This also without creating 10x100 of the same questions, leading to 1000 columns in the result data.
I want them to select the cars, and for each car go through the same questions, one car at the time. The result data would be 100 columns wide, with the car tag as the only difference (101 columns to be exact).
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by akvik. Reason: typos

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58387

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 331
I don't think that you will be able to fit this into the data base as you want. And all research tools that I know handle this similar.

Usually responses to all questions are written into the same table of the database anyway, and most tools for analysis can only use this kind of table to analyse (e.g. SPSS).

The questionnaire tools that I know have the responses in columns and the interviews/repondents in rows.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58395

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 827
Hello,
akvik wrote:
I want them to select the cars, and for each car go through the same questions, one car at the time. The result data would be 100 columns wide, with the car tag as the only difference (101 columns to be exact).

It will be possible with ONE car, but i a repondant answer for 3 cars, then you have to separate the answer for this 3 cars. Same for 10 cars, 20 cars etc ....

You can't have only one column for different answer.

If you choose 1 car (the best for example)
Then you can have one array with the BEST car choosen.

You can use, for example, a ranking question with MAX 5 answer, then use the INSERTANS to put the name of choosen car in the answer.

After you have something like you want, but you hav to manually edit the data to find answer for each car.

:)
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by DenisChenu.

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58414

• akvik
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks both of you,

I will settle for the multi-column solution and use INSERTANS and conditions for hiding the other cars.

Again, nice with fast and informed help!

Re: Need help with nested question, or another way to do it 3 years 6 months ago #58419

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 827
Hello,

I think you can use Array filter

And:
You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds
Donation Image