Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: creating random question order in a group

creating random question order in a group 3 years 6 months ago #58060

• Miriam
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew how to get questions (within one question group) to appear in a random order?

I've found the following information below in 'Advanced Question Settings' section of the manual. But the option does not appear in the Advanced Settings of my survey questions. I have 24 'list(radio)' questions in a group, that I want to randomise the order of each time survey is taken. Do I need to alter some code somewhere in a file to do this?

Many thanks, p.s. i'm using most recent version of limesurvey (downloaded 2wks ago)
Miriam

random_group
Randomization group name
Description
Place questions into a specified randomization group, all questions included in the specified group will appear in a random order.

Valid values
Just enter any string you like (for example: 'group1'. All question which have set the same string will have their place in the survey randomized (=randomly exchanged among each other).
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Miriam. Reason: missed out version of limesurvey im using
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: creating random question order in a group 3 years 6 months ago #58066

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 785
Hi Miriam,

It looks like someone jumped the gun a bit in the wiki - that feature is only available in 1.91+ (and your stable version is probably 1.90).

You will need to use a workaround for 1.90 - docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...tions+for+LimeSurvey
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: creating random question order in a group 3 years 6 months ago #58111

• Miriam
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey tpartner,
Thanks so much for replying! I've done the workaround you linked too, and seems to work :)

thanks,
Miriam

Re: creating random question order in a group 3 years 6 months ago #58112

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 785
You're welcome.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: creating random question order in a group 3 years 6 months ago #58328

• Miriam
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello again!

I have a follow-up question which someone might be able to help me with?

Basically, the randomise questions within a group workaround (selective_random_questions.txt.pdf mentioned above) is great, however I also need to have each question in the randomised group displayed on a separate page (as the 'questions' are 'Please rate the emotion in the face' and an image is displayed with 6 possible facial expression answers). I need to have them on separate pages as seeing all the faces one after another down the page will influence ratings.
Is there a way to put an actual page break between them in the survey? (as the page-break option is only for printing out).

The only alternative way I can think of is to put each face question in its own group, and then do the randomize_groups workaround. However, in the bug report bit, there are lots of reports that the randomize_groups does not work properly and groups are often missed out. I tried it myself, and 2 of the groups were missed out :(

So I'm wondering if there is a solution to this? Ideally a way of putting page breaks between questions (already in my randomised group), or getting the group randomise function to work and just having each question in its own group?

Sorry for the longwinded description! :S
Cheers,
Miriam
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Donation Image