Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: return from link without browser resending data

return from link without browser resending data 3 years 5 months ago #57219

Hi,

When I have too much information with a question to fit in the paragraph beneath the question itself I create a hyperlink to this info. Respondent can click this link, read the info on a spearate url page and go back to the question page inside limesurvey.
This works okay when the link targets a blanc frame. Which results in a new tab that opens.
However people have to close this new page to get back to the survey. For some this is too complcated, they want to click on the back button in the browser.
So I tried to make it so that the target of the link is goes to the same frame (_self, _parent of _top).
The return button creates a browser message which says that it is necesaary to reload earlier data etc. Which is more messy than before.

I searched but cannot find a solution for this. I understand it is connected to the way limesurvey posts form-data.

My question is: is it possible to make it so that a link to new info from a survey that permits to use the back button of te browser to returm from that info to the survey itself.
(So without the need to re-post etc.)

Any advice much obliged.

Best regards,

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: return from link without browser resending data 3 years 5 months ago #57222

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 794
onderzoekspraktijk wrote:
My question is: is it possible to make it so that a link to new info from a survey that permits to use the back button of te browser to returm from that info to the survey itself.
(So without the need to re-post etc.)
Hello,

No, i don't think it's the best solution.

I think using javascript to open a new frame or a new windows for each link in your question block is the best solution.

Something like that (without testing), i you have a question class in your template.
$(".question a").attr('target','_blank');

Or , maybe more beautiful, use mediabox jquery plugin.

This one seem cool too : iaian7.com/webcode/mediaboxAdvanced#examples
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by DenisChenu.

Re: return from link without browser resending data 3 years 5 months ago #57317

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
I also think you can do much better. One solution is to use a simple tooltip so the user can hover the mouse on a link and new information pops up in the same window.
There are also some fancy Javascript solutions e.g. to open a lightbox with additional information.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: return from link without browser resending data 3 years 5 months ago #57430

Thank you for your answers. I am not sure how to implement this jquery code.
But I can sure experiment and try it out.

As for the tooltip: how to direct people to the need to hover for more...

For now my problem is with a survey that needs to be accessible for users who read it with a screenreader. So It needs to be easy enough for me to understand, and robust enough to be accessible for all kinds of (combinations of) software.

I did search on internet before posting and found some post in which people discussed the way website checkins work where you order and pay some goods, and can go back without re-loading the form. I got the impression that there is some code added that blocks the need to re-load previous pages. As this is also the case in limesurvey, I presumed it might be possible to extend that to external links somehow.

Best regards,

Paul
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by onderzoekspraktijk. Reason: type errors

Re: return from link without browser resending data 3 years 5 months ago #57456

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
onderzoekspraktijk wrote:
As for the tooltip: how to direct people to the need to hover for more...

For now my problem is with a survey that needs to be accessible for users who read it with a screenreader. So It needs to be easy enough for me to understand, and robust enough to be accessible for all kinds of (combinations of) software.
Just mark words having a tooltip in red or blue to highlight them and add a note at the question help text.

When using tooltips screenreader should have no problems because you can add the same text message at the title attribute of the "<a href=''....> tag.

Just as an example: sixrevisions.com/css/css-only-tooltips/

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Donation Image