Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated.

EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57096

• BELLAMEHTA
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello I am a pretty new (green) user to lime survey. I appreciate the software, recommended by my web developer, and am learning how to use it to view the data.

I cannot seem to export the data to Excel. I have checked the documentation and clicked on the symbol marked Export Results to Application and I get a server error HTTP 500 in both Google Chrome and IE (not sure if that would make a difference but am trying anything I can think of to make it work).

I can export summary results to Excel using the pie chart symbol but really I want a spreadsheet of all the results so I can read the free text comments and circulate to the research team.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57110

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
My first guess is a ressource problem...

1. Which Limesurvey version do you use?

2. Please switch on debug mode by adding the following line to your config.php file:
$debug = '1';

Are there any additional errors reported on top of the page?

3. Can you export to Word, CSV or other formats?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57125

• BELLAMEHTA
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you Mazi. I am using Version 1.90+ Build 9642 Installed it pretty recently - within the last month or so.

Sorry to sound daft, but can you tell me where to find my config.php file? and when I find it where I should put the line. (My modern day tech skills are rudimentary but I used to use DOS out of necessity in the olden days.)

No I can't export to anything - I get that error message as soon as I click on the Export Results button. Nothing additional.

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57132

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
When you uploaded and installed Limesurvey you had to make some changes (database connection details and the like) which were made in a file called "config.php" which should be located at the /limesurvey folder (or whatever you nemed that on your server).

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57266

• Toby
  • Fresh Lemon
Perhaps I can shed some light here. I've been helping Bella with the survey - I'm familiar with Limesurvey and have set up other installations without any problems. I've activated debug mode, and when exporting to application I get a memory allocation error.

It's on a shared server so I don't have root php.ini access, but I've manually added a php.ini file with a memory increase to things like Wordpress and it's worked fine. Is there a certain location I need to add this file in the survey structure (in Wordpress is goes in the wp-admin folder for example)?

Thanks

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57270

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Try either Limesurvey root or /limesurvey/admin.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57282

• Toby
  • Fresh Lemon
Mazi wrote:
Try either Limesurvey root or /limesurvey/admin.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried a php.ini with
memory_limit = 128M
in it in both locations but no change. Exact fatal error message is this:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 20971520 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7864320 bytes) in /xxxxxxxxxx/htdocs/jobsharing/survey/admin/classes/tcpdf/unicode_data.php on line 16485

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57311

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
The webserver might overwrite such local settings so setting this at the webserver config directly should solve the problem.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57328

• Toby
  • Fresh Lemon
It's a shared server and as far as I'm aware there's no ability to increase php memory directly.

Re: EXPORTING TO EXCEL? I cannot seem to export to Excel. Help much appreciated. 3 years 9 months ago #57330

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
In this case you have to bribe your provider. Send some beer and ask if they can tweak your account a little.

If they refuse have a look at Limesurvey optimized hosting at www.LimeService.com.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
Donation Image