Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Include text areas in statistics

Include text areas in statistics 3 years 7 months ago #55784

We are using lime survey for course evaluations. We would like to print a report for each instructor that includes student comments.

When we view the statistics for a given course, we need to click 'browse' to see the text-area comments in a popup window. This makes it very time consuming to produce a report for an individual instructor.

Is there any way to create a report of responses that include text-area comments?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 7 months ago #55785

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
I think this would be possible, but would be custom coding. For my area (market research) it would be a no go to include verbatim comments into a standard report, because we are not allowed to pass on personal data of respondents, even if they wish to. Thus we need to exclude them from the statistics and review them one by one before passing them on.

So, you probably would need to create your custom reporting/statistics. I am sure Mazi or an other Limesurvey developer would offer paid programming for something like this (in case you can't do this inhouse). Just get in touch with them.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 7 months ago #55832

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
holch wrote:
For my area (market research) it would be a no go to include verbatim comments into a standard report, because we are not allowed to pass on personal data of respondents, even if they wish to. Thus we need to exclude them from the statistics and review them one by one before passing them on.
That's also the reason why these comments are not included at the admin statistics and why no text comments at all are shown at public statistics.

You can either export all data to Excel (in this case all text answers will be included) and run your own analysis or you can customize the admin statistics so that text comments will also be included at this overview.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 7 months ago #55943

Thanks for the ideas- by "customize the admin statistics" do you mean custom programming or is there an interface for customizing admin statistics?

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 7 months ago #55944

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
This would mean custom programming. There is no interface to customize admin statistics.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 22 hours ago #65754

• johnny_n
  • Fresh Lemon
+1 on including text areas/comments in the exported <a href='www.docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?p...tions+for+LimeSurvey'>statistics</a>.

Perhaps there could be a checkbox to hide/show comments, since in some cases the above reason seems justified -- I don't think it's worth crippling this functionality though for all users...

Thank you for considering this request.

john.
Last Edit: 3 years 22 hours ago by johnny_n.

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 21 hours ago #65755

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
This is easy in LimeSurvey 1.92. You would create a Equation question type, whose results are stored to the database. These are database text fields that are usually used for actual Equations. However, you can also generate a text report within them and have that saved to the database. More info here.
Last Edit: 3 years 21 hours ago by TMSWhite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnny_n

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 21 hours ago #65756

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hahaha, the Expression Manager seems to be the swiss army knife for LS. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

But I guess it will have quite some learning curve, right?

The helpers here in the forum will need a presentation beforehand, so that we can help out here. ;-)

Last Edit: 3 years 21 hours ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnny_n

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 20 hours ago #65757

• johnny_n
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, this is interesting. Won't help on past surveys but I look forward to trying it out for the next one... thank you for the suggestion!

Re: Include text areas in statistics 3 years 12 hours ago #65758

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
holch-

I believe there will be less of a learning curve than you would expect. I used essentially the same syntax a decade ago for a different product. I had high school level students (e.g. no college experience) coding 3000 question epidemiological surveys in English and Spanish with complete tailoring of Spanish (conjugating verbs and declining nouns), plus a student with a year or two of college doing the quality control. Anyway, it took only 15-30 minutes of training to get them started, and the documentation was good enough that they didn't need anything else. They had no trouble with equations, since they look just like normal mathematical equations and follow the same syntax.

Admittedly, I took a different strategy to development and debugging. Rather than one question at a time, all of the questions were encoded in a single Excel file with one row per question and a special delimited syntax to separate answer choices (so could all fit on the same row). That was what took the longest time to learn, but still only 15-30 minutes. Then, once they were done coding a section of the instrument, they would load it, and the survey tool would show them all of the syntax errors in a single report. They'd fix those in Excel, reload, and usually eliminate all of the syntax errors in a few rounds of such loading and fixing.

I'm anticipating supporting the same syntax reporting review. Since I already color-code the EM equations and show errors within it, it's just a matter of printing a report that shows all questions and all EM-related Relevance and Tailoring so that users can fix the errors. I already have such a report for debugging purposes, so would not be hard to make it prettier and easier to use.

Anyway, I'll be glad when most of the regular LimeSurvey helpers get comfortable with EM so that they can take advantage of it, and help everyone else. If that means having to create some YouTube videos or other training materials, that's fine.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Donation Image