Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Possibly a much-asked question, but...

Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54915

• MikeRogers
  • Fresh Lemon
I apologize if this question has been asked before; I searched the forum and didn't find any topics that seemed to touch on it.

LimeSurvey is very impressive, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use it as a kind of testing application. I'd like to ask users a set of questions one at a time and record one of several possible answers. I guess it would be similar to a "quiz application", more or less, testing their knowledge on a particular subject.

If it would be possible to embed video in the question area, that would be even better, but I can make do without it.

Can LimeSurvey be used this way, and if so, is there anyone here who might be willing to help someone who's new to it?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54919

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 99
Both things should be possible.
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54934

• MikeRogers
  • Fresh Lemon
c_schmitz wrote:
Both things should be possible.

Thank you. Are there any examples or how-to guides that I could view to help me setup LimeSurvey to work his way?

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54941

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 739
Please check the documentation to get started - docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php.

Search the forums for how to embed video, I think there are several posts on it.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54945

• MikeRogers
  • Fresh Lemon
Tony,

Thank you...I downloaded a copy of LimeSurvey and looked at some of the code; I also looked at some of the documentation for some ideas on how to get started.

LimeSurvey is an outstanding app, but I think I may be going down the wrong path in trying to get it to do what I need.

What I basically need to do is show some materials to people (text and video) as kind of a step-through learning guide, and then (as a separate process) present them with a test which also shows them some text and video.

I also need to collect the test answers and score them, which I'm not sure is something easily done with LimeSurvey. I'm fairly proficient with PHP and could write a bit of code to handle this part, but I think when all is said and done I may be trying to make LimeSurvey do something it's not really intended to do.

I've worked with several questionnaire-type apps and LimeSurvey is the best one I've ever seen, bar none. But I'm thinking it's probably better for me to use something that's geared more towards learning/testing.

If anyone has suggestions on a good testing application, I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions, links, or ideas.

tpartner wrote:
Please check the documentation to get started - docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php.

Search the forums for how to embed video, I think there are several posts on it.

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54953

• VBraun
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 4
Limesurvey is great software but for online learning and testing I would go for Moodle.

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54963

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
MikeRogers wrote:
I also need to collect the test answers and score them, which I'm not sure is something easily done with LimeSurvey.
Have a look at manual -> assessments.

You can use "boilerplate" questions to show additional videos and/or help texts. All kind of data can be presented there.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Possibly a much-asked question, but... 3 years 6 months ago #54969

• MikeRogers
  • Fresh Lemon
Mazi,

Thank you...I guess the questions I should be asking are,

1) Can LimeSurvey be used as a teaching tool, like a simple course presenter or learning app?

and

2) Can LimeSurvey be used as a quiz or testing tool?

There are two parts to what I need to do. I think LimeSurvey could probably be made to do what I want, but I'm thinking that it might take a fair bit of custom work on it. If there's anyone here that is familiar enough with LimeSurvey to be able to configure it to do what I need, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to have someone do it. This would me a lot of time and frustration and would probably also mean that it would be done right. If this is something that someone here would like to discuss, please PM me.

It may also be that there are simpler solutions to getting what I need accomplished...Moodle was suggested, for example. I've looked at Moodle and it's an impressive app. For what I need, though, it would be like driving a battleship to the mini-mart. It's way, way more than what I need and I'm hesitant to dive into it if there might be a simple way to do what I want.

Anyway, if there's a LimeSurvey guru here who would like to talk about setting it up to do what I need, please PM me and we'll go from there.

Mazi wrote:
MikeRogers wrote:
I also need to collect the test answers and score them, which I'm not sure is something easily done with LimeSurvey.
Have a look at manual -> assessments.

You can use "boilerplate" questions to show additional videos and/or help texts. All kind of data can be presented there.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Donation Image