Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Global survey timeout

Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54688

I would like to use lime survey for job interviews. To do this it is important to limit the time a candidate spends on the survey, is there any way to set a global time limit for the survey? I found the time limit option on the question level, but it is not exactly what I need. The other problem with that is if I add two questions into the same group with 20 sec time limit the timer starts immediately for both questions. Is there any way to start the timer only when the question is first entered?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54694

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 690
1) As far as I know there is no way to have a survey timer without using cookies and that would be very insecure.

2) I don't understand "when the question is first entered". If they are in the same group and the survey is displayed group-by-group, both will be "entered" when the page opens.I think you need them on different pages.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54696

tpartner wrote:
1) As far as I know there is no way to have a survey timer without using cookies and that would be very insecure.
Would it be possible to count the time on the server side? The counter would start when the user enters the first page.

tpartner wrote:
2) I don't understand "when the question is first entered". If they are in the same group and the survey is displayed group-by-group, both will be "entered" when the page opens.I think you need them on different pages.
It can work, but a bit complicated to set up 100 questions each of them in a separate group, but if this is the only way I will do that.

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54698

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Would it be possible to count the time on the server side?
I don't believe so because there is no interaction with the server until a page is submitted. This would allow a page to stay open indefinitely. (maybe a PHP expert can make a liar of me)
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by tpartner.

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54699

tpartner wrote:
Would it be possible to count the time on the server side?
I don't believe so because there is no interaction with the server until a page is submitted. This would allow a page to stay open indefinitely. (maybe a PHP expert can make a liar of me)

I see, in this case my question is if I use the timeout for individual questions is it safe or has the same issue?

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54702

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
It is possible to disable the timer while viewing a page.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Global survey timeout 3 years 3 months ago #54707

thank you, at least I know what can I expect :)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Donation Image