Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Other response mandatory in multiple response

Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 8 months ago #54510

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a multiple response question with an other/specify blank.

If I choose only the other, it requires me to enter something in the blank.

If I choose the other and another option it doesn't require that I have something in the blank.

Is there a setting I am missing to make it required? I know there is a setting in the single response question.

How can I make it mandatory for the other box be filled in?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 8 months ago #54640

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
Hey folks, sorry to bump my topic, but I was wondering if any of the great gurus had a way to make this happen?

Right now, I'm still trying to sell my bosses on using LimeSurvey over SurveyWriter and am trying to get things to work as similarly as possible.

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 8 months ago #54641

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 767
What version of LimeSurvey and browser are you using?

If "Other" option is checked, the corresponding text field should be mandatory, no matter how many other options are checked.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by tpartner.

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 8 months ago #54648

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
Using 1.90+ Build 9561

The other is definitely not mandatory in mult responses, I checked the documentation and confirmed that this is by design. So I need a workaround...

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 8 months ago #54654

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, no, the other option isn't mandatory but if it is checked, its text input should be mandatory so I'm not sure what behaviour you want.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 7 months ago #54666

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
the text box is definitely not mandatory in a multiple options question, it can be made mandatory in other questions

took a little bit to find but here is the info from the docmentation, this is from the "Multiple options With comments" section:

'Other:' comment mandatory
Description
Only applies to mandatory questions having an 'other answer' in which the participant can give a free text response ('other comment').
When this attribute is set to '1' and the participant selects the other answer (the 'other checkbox' or 'other answer in a list'), then he will have to give a comment in the 'Other comment' input box in order to proceed to next page.

Note that this option is not available for Multiple Choice questions because the Other checkbox status is not recorded in DB for this question type, only the content of the other text input is recorded. This means that checking the other checkbox is just a visual effect that is only meaningfull if the text box is filled in: that is why other_comment_mandatory is assumed to be set for this question type.

Example
If set to 1 for a "Multiple options With comments" question, if the user enters a value in the left part of the Other answer but doesn't enter text in the Other Comment part, a warning message will be displayed when he tries to proceed to the next page.

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 7 months ago #54741

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
I've fiddled around more, but still no luck. Is there any kind of Javascript wizardry that might help?

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 7 months ago #54747

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
I'm sure we can come up with something but I am now unsure of what question types you are using and what behaviour you want.

I was under the impression you were using a simple multiple options question with the "Other" option enabled:
Untitled-1.png

Can you attach a small sample survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 5 months ago #58364

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey guys,

I don't know if there's a solution to this, I ve tried to see in the bug tracker if there's a corresponding entry but didn't find it.

My point is related to this thread but not exactly the same:
It's more general in the sense that no matter what kind of question you select (at least all the ones i've used so far), when you want to enable a comment for the "other" response category, the information gets lost when exporting data to SPSS.

The thing is, when people answer the "other" category, Limesurvey records "-oth-" as the answer, then the text/number entered is recorded in a second variable.
Then, when you export to SPSS, the variable is set to numeric, so the "-oth-" information gets lost in the process; and if by chance someone chose the "other" category but didn't leave a text/number in the dedicated field, there is no way to distinguish "other" from missing values. [Though if completed the second text/number variable works fine]

My question is: is there a way to choose the value (or code) recorded for the "other" category?

As far as i can understand it the value "-oth-" is used in some javascript functions, so it seems rather complex to set up. But may be I am wrong about this.
If impossible I can may be provide a workaround...to be tested.

Luge

Re: Other response mandatory in multiple response 3 years 5 months ago #58365

• vadindot
  • Senior Lime
I've just gotten into the habit of making "Others" a seperate question that will be displayed below if someone chooses it. It's a reliable, albeit kuldgy solution.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Donation Image