Friday, 28 March 2008 16:32
LimeSurvey has stiff competition from the OS community and industry so we think
it is time to put the squeeze on our rivals and push LimeSurvey to a new level.
So what is the big deal about LimeSurvey 2 ?
LimeSurvey 2 is
not just an addition of features to the current 1.7. LimeSurvey 2 will be a
survey engine completely rewritten from scratch featuring the following
Fast, fun, and elegant survey taking
- The user feels in control, can get in and out of the survey quickly, knows
how long the survey will take, can whip through the questions, and is delighted
by the entire experience of taking the survey in LimeSurvey.
Creating a survey makes you feel like a pro
- Beautiful user experience, drag and drop layout service
- No developer skills required
- Web poll widgets
- Advanced tools such as branching, conditionals, looping, continuous surveys,
- Panel/people management
- Export data to Excel, tabd, SPSS, R, ManyEyes, and several other formats
- Dashboards and reporting over time
Speaks your language
- Language plugin support (a la LimeSurvey v1.7’s more than fourty different
Up and running in 20 minutes
- Packaged service on your hardware, behind your ﬁrewall or on your ISP’s
- Use your branding and personalization special sauce
- Modularity: You want to plugin in your hand-crafted authentication module?
You want to code a new question type? No problem.
- Object oriented using CakePHP framework: Professional development based on
an established PHP framwork
- Usability: LS 2 is designed under the merciless supervision of usability and
- Scalability: Scalable for your particular needs. No matter if you want to
make a quick poll or have a multi-hour 360° survey.
- Contribute in less than an hour: Within 1 hour of diving into the code and
design, contributors should be able to create custom question types and basic
- Open Source: LimeSurvey 2 will be open source and free (as it is with
LimeSurvey 1.70 now) - not locked up, not propietary.
So.. that's too good to be true, isn't it all talk?
LimeSurvey 2 is not just vaporware. We’re in serious but early development.
Since the release of v1.7, core developers are just migrating to the new v2 code
base (available in our Subversion repository). Check
out our Wiki on 1.7x development and maintenance.
What happens to
the 1.7x branch?
We will continue to provide 1.70+ releases with fixes
and language updates on a weekly base. When the time comes we will offer a full
featured conversion/upgrade from 1.70x to the LimeSurvey 2 software.
small downside: To the end of April however we will discontinue support for all
1.0x versions. It's been two years now since we released this version so it is
time to upgrade now .
Want to know more about LimeSurvey 2
The LimeSurvey 2 forum is buzzing. Visit, read the updates, take our
survey, see the early designs, touch the code, and contribute. We need your help in creating the best survey software on planet