Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't find survey I created

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104928

I installed the newest Limesurvey update on my computer (XAMPP package) and used the "admin" and "password" credentials to go online. I was not asked to create a new username and password. I created a survey and closed the tab; then I could re-open the survey. Now, several days later, I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm new to Limesurvey and not sure how it works. I would really like to find my survey. (I only created this account that I'm posting with today.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104935

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 288
When you log into your limesurvey administration screen (should be something like http://localhost/admin/), there should be dropdown to the right with all surveys listed. Choose your survey and you should be able to work with it again.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104936

Thanks for your reply, but I keep getting a screen that says "Google chrome can't connect to localhost"... any ideas?

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104938

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Yes. With this clearer description it is a lot easier to find the problem. The webserver is nor running on your machine.

You probably did not install apache and mysql as a service. You will need to start xampp. Within the xampp folder there is some kind of console where you can start the different services.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SofieVerleden

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104950

Wow, thank you so much. It worked. So now I should change my password and every time I want to access my surveys I should get apache and mysql running first?

You are my hero of the week! I'm so happy I don't have to create the survey again.

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104954

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
If you are not using xampp for anything else I think it is worth starting it only when you really need it. So whenever you switch off the computer XAMPP will be closed, just like any other software as well.

However, there is an option to install it as a service in Windows, which means that XAMPP will always start when the computer is started. This is a good option when you work a lot with web development, so you don't have to start it each time manually.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SofieVerleden

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104956

Thanks a lot for the information. You have helped me out a lot! I'm just going to start running it manually when I need it.

One more question. I would like to share my unfinished survey with someone so she can check it out and look for mistakes. How do I do this? Do I add her as a user?

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104957

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Now this can become a little more complicated. Because at the moment it is on your local computer and not on a real webserver.

The question is, what you want to do with your survey once it is ready? Because if you want people to fill it online, you'll have to set it up on a real webserver. The XAMPP version is only for local development.

So you have a few options now to give the other person access for testing: If this person's computer is on the same network, you should be able to provide access to your webserver/questionnaire via your local IP within the network (depends on the security settings on your computer also).

Or, if the other person has also a local installation of limesurvey, you can export the survey and the other person imports it on their installation of Limesurvey.

Or you upload it to a limesurvey installation accessible via internet.

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104959

I would like to let people fill it in online. Therefore I will have to upload it to a limesurvey installation accessible via internet? How do I do this?
The use of Limesurvey is more complicated than I thought. I apologise for my noobish questions.

Edit: I just created an account on LimeService.com
Is this what you mean by uploading it to a limesurvey installation? Or are there other options? Because I just noticed only 25 people can fill it in and I will need more..
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by SofieVerleden.

Can't find survey I created 5 months 2 weeks ago #104967

@holch: Just wanted to tell you that I will no longer be needing your help since I got IT support to help me out. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I want to delete this topic but can't seem to find how.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Donation Image