Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Export tokens with survey link

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108390

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 313
We often use Limesurvey for data entry or for surveys that are not sent out via email (e.g. you have to sent 10.000 personalized links with the token included to central locations where online CAPI interviews are run, or you have to send individual links to panels).

At the moment what we do is create a CSV with tokens and upload them.

Then we copy one of the links for one of the tokens provided by the GUI as a template, split them before and after the token and create via some excel function individual links for every token.

However, these links are already available in Limesurvey, it is just not very practical to copy them one by one, which is why we use the excel approach.

However, I thought it shouldn't be a big deal to insert the option to include the links into the export as an option.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108395

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 802
Hi,
Yes, a good option, but there are some difficulty here:
- In CSV a example.org is not clickable after importing in excel or LibreOffice

I think it's a plugin needed dev.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108450

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
DenisChenu wrote:
Hi,
Yes, a good option, but there are some difficulty here:
- In CSV a example.org is not clickable after importing in excel or LibreOffice

I don't think holch is interested in displaying these files in LibreOffice or Excel.

The purpose is to distribute the list to mailing list operators, which merge these files with there adressdatabases to send out mailings with tokenlinks. To generate such a list the tokens alone are exported and the URL Parts are added before / after the token via some spreadsheet formulas.

So what is needed: Export all URLS (like they would be displayed when sending out emails via Limesurvey) in one list.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108454

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Jelo is partially right.

His scenario is an intersting one.

But another one is distributing links to central locations for WEB CAPI. So it would be nice to have a link for this type of approach, but the simple URL in the csv file would already a huge step forward, because it saves us to create the links in Excel. Ideally the links would already be clickable, but this would be a bonus.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108455

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
holch wrote:
But another one is distributing links to central locations for WEB CAPI

Describe your WebCAPI Setup a bit. How is Excel, LibreOffice or OpenOffice involved.
The clickable issue, which was mentioned by is a way of parsing files in LibreOffice. Only when starting to edit a cell, the URL gets parsed and is clickable.

What concept I exspect when hearing WebCAPI.

Local installation of Limesurvey with a local webserver,php and a database.

Problems are beginning when using more than one station.

1.) Ensure Unique IDs to allow merging exports afterwards
2.) Distributing of surveys and collecting of results
3.) Ensure looping of surveys at stations
4.) Ensure that everything is working (no easy access of interviewer staff)

I am using a survey product from a company which offers a little windows tool which ensures that apache is start / stopped and surveys are imported and results are exported via the windows tool.

Surveys (which normally are perl scripts for webservers) can be created as numbered packages with can be distributed to the stations. A simple import and the surveyfiles are installed and a shortcut can be put on the desktop to start webcapi for that survey.

The IDs are unique to ensure that merging exports of webcapi stations are no problem.

The tool also allows the interviewer at the webcapi station to check data via browser and delete/correct data. ReadOnly and Read/Write modi are secure via different passwords.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108457

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Jelo,

What you are describing I would define as CAPI. As soon as the software is installed on the machine of the interviewer and can be used offline (even it is a webserver based tool like Limesurvey or SSI) it would still call it CAPI, because of the end of the day, the technology used doesn't really matter.

Web CAPI I define as personal interview to a web based tool. So the tool only works online and it is based on a centralized server.

Well, and often we use the later approach also for data entry.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 3 weeks ago #108460

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
holch wrote:
Web CAPI I define as personal interview to a web based tool. So the tool only works online and it is based on a centralized server.

Still don't get the difference. What is the difference between your WebCAPI and CAWI, which is what Limesurvey is for in the firstplace? Give me an example.

Only other Web-C... I know is WebCATI. Interviewer can do CATI from remote places, AKA virtual callcenter.

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 2 weeks ago #108468

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
CAPI = Computer Assisted Personal Interview
CATI = Computer Assisted Telephone Interview

So CAPI involves a computer/notebook with a programmed questionnaire and a personal interview administered by an interviewer.

Today it is very popular, as web interviewing software is everywhere, that market research institutes use web survey software for doing CAPI interviews. Advantages: one central database, you don't depend on the different field coordinators to send back data for completed interviews, no installation required, usually easy to program, etc. Disadvantages: needs online connection either in a central location, via WIFI or 3g.

So the only difference of Web CAPI is that the questionnaire is online. It is still administered by an interviewer. And here lies the difference to CAWI, where there is usually no interviewer and the questionnaire is selfadministered by the respondent.

But today we hardly do any real, pure, traditional CAPI interviews anymore (offline).

CAWI

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 2 weeks ago #108472

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
Thanks Holch, got it.

So you distribute and split the token list to know which station in which location has done the interview, right?

How is the entering of the token done in the teststudio/location? The interviewer is clicking on a list and the study participant is then ask to begin the interview? Or are people interviewed and the interviewer enters the data for them?

Export tokens with survey link 3 months 2 weeks ago #108519

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Jelo,

No problem. There are so many CAPI, CATI, CAWI, Web CAPI and I think there are a few more that I have never heard of. Can be quite confusing. And I am sure that the terms are used differently by many. At least this above was my interpretation, which is of course the correct one (just kidding - no idea).

Now in the central location a Web CAPI would be administered by an interviewer, just like a normal CAPI. Otherwise it would be a central location CAWI I guess (when respondents apply the questionnaire themselves). Here in Brazil this happens quite a bit still, because some socio-economic classes are hard to get online (and the panels aren't that good either).

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Donation Image