Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:
  • Seite:

THEMA: question layout designer

question layout designer 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #98586

• trivender
  • trivenders Avatar
  • Expert Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 7
Earlier today when I woke up a beautiful idea came to my mind.I work on different survey tools and didn't find this type of functionality.

We should have a module say having name "Question Designer".In this module we will have a vertical Object panel on the right side with elementary objects like "text box" , numeric box, labels,radio button,checkbox and so on..We should be able to drag and drop the objects from the Object panel into Design area.Then we will be able to select desired objects(like ctrl+select) and then right click to assign then a question ID.:). The question then should have the designed layout in survey. Something like this would be a wonderful ..

Anhang panle.png nicht gefunden

Trivender Singh
Survey Designer and Programmer
"I always suggest to have a group by group display layout and create a seprate group for each question. This will be extra work but you will get flexiblity to create your question by using more than more lime survey question types."
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

question layout designer 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #98592

• mfaber
  • mfabers Avatar
  • Expert Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 22
Funny, I had the same idea recently. Think it could make survey design with LS even easier and quicker.

Some additional thoughts:
- The object in the design area could be labelled with the VARNAME and the Question text.
--> color/icons for the question type
- horizontal bars as dividers represent question groups
- There could be buttons for "settings" and "advanced setting" next to each object.
--> these would lead to pop-up windows for the resective settings
- The objects can be dragged and dropped around the design area (much like the excellent question group/question ordering function that LS already offers).

One could also offer variants of one question type in the object panel, for example variants of the short-text question with often needed custom settings (use as map, use as text field, etc).

I don't know if there's already a UI revamp planned...but it might be worthwhile to make some sketches what the UI could look like and discuss it here.

question layout designer 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #99073

• jelo
  • jelos Avatar
  • Platinum Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 52
These kind of UI was more common in the beginning of the desktop based survey creator. As a canvas a word document was used. I can remember using Perseus (which now is folded into a EFM solution)

Since HTML and browsers have developed you can see this kind of UI in the form creator camp, which also try to cover the survey field.

Take a look at:
questionform.com/start
www.jotform.com
www.wufoo.com
www.formsite.com

Personally I think these kind of UI is demanding a lot of programming resources and Limesurvey is currently lacking a lot of questiontype design features to compete with more professional solutions (if the mission of the project is that direction?).

A first step could be a freeform question type where you can combine question elements.

question layout designer 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #99080

• mdekker
  • mdekkers Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 68
Interesting topic! Please open a feature request at out bugtracker so this does not get lost. It would be enough I think to open the feature request and put a link to this topic there and then a link to the feature reques in this topic so both are linked.
---
Menno Dekker

question layout designer 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #99162

• DenisChenu
  • DenisChenus Avatar
  • Moderator Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 839
jelo schrieb:
Limesurvey is currently lacking a lot of questiontype design features to compete with more professional solutions
I have a lot of client who try "professional solution" and come back to LimeSurvey : because LimeSurvey have more question type than other.

LS GUI for survey design are not easy, but it's not a question type problem.

Denis

question layout designer 1 Jahr 1 Monat her #99205

• trivender
  • trivenders Avatar
  • Expert Lime
I understand that this type of GUI need lots of time and work .We can manage with the question types that are currently available.But there are few things that need to be introduced on priority.Like

1:-Column Randomization:-In array type question we need to randomize columns very frequently.
2:-Column Filtering:-Again in array sometimes we need to hide certain columns based on the answer to previous question and still keep the question mandatory to answer.
3:-More than one other specify options.

Although there are JavaScipt and other workarounds are there to do these but they are very time consuming and error prone.I request to pay special attention on such frequently use feature.
Trivender Singh
"I always suggest to have a group by group display layout and create a seprate group for each question. This will be extra work but you will get flexiblity to create your question by using more than more lime survey question types."

question layout designer 1 Jahr 1 Monat her #99207

• trivender
  • trivenders Avatar
  • Expert Lime
Also I will like to suggest that "Other Specify" and "Exclusive" should be property of each answer option.And if you can provide a toggle for this property somewhere red arrow pointing in below image would be very intuitive.
Anhang:
Trivender Singh
Letzte Änderung: 1 Jahr 1 Monat her von trivender.

question layout designer 1 Jahr 1 Monat her #99231

• trivender
  • trivenders Avatar
  • Expert Lime
I have one more request."Array(Numbers)" with check box layout type question need little improvement.Currently the data returned from this type of question is in the following format.
We get,

Blank : When respondent don't touch the check box.
one(1) : When respondent click(check) the check box.
zero(0) : If respondent click(check) and then again click on the same check box(unchecked it) and then move to next question.

Here it would be great if we get blanks only if there is filter on certain rows or columns.For the rows or columns that are being presented to the respondent should return 0 for unchecked and 1 for checked box.

I think first you have to provide column filter functionality to make this happen.:)
Trivender Singh

question layout designer 1 Jahr 1 Monat her #99311

• trivender
  • trivenders Avatar
  • Expert Lime
If we have "Other Specify" as a property of an answer option then it will help us to overcome situations like following.

www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...-through-other#99310
Trivender Singh

question layout designer 1 Jahr 1 Monat her #99492

• jelo
  • jelos Avatar
  • Platinum Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 52
DenisChenu schrieb:
I have a lot of client who try "professional solution" and come back to LimeSurvey : because LimeSurvey have more question type than other.
LS GUI for survey design are not easy, but it's not a question type problem.
I wasn't talking about GUI but about questions. Looping questions and being able to place a Other/Freetext field behind every item you want to, are some of the basic question design features missing.

Since resources are rare and developers might want to stick to certain fields of interest it would be more productive if developers reveal what areas they are interested in. It would help to collect feature requests which appeal to them and it might be easier to offer some bounty for adding a feature.

I will wait till 2.1 to see if the plugin design will allow us to contribute more easier in terms of code. Or in terms of contracting work.
  • Seite:
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.157 Sekunden
Donation Image