Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Group randomisation.

Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64008

• mwilliams
  • mwilliamss Avatar
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi all. Could anyone help with a quick question re randomising groups? I've set up the group sequence randomisation as per (bugs.limesurvey.org/file_download.php?file_id=1228&type=bug) but find the order of all groups is randomised, not only those with _rand() appended. Any ideas what I've done wrong?
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Re: Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64013

• greg_d
  • greg_ds Avatar
  • Senior Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 7
Hi,

What version you are trying to modify? This is quite old workaround and have some drawbacks or uncertainties like this: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=557#c12962 (probably you have read that discussion)

I think that using debugger or inserting some logging code to RandomizeSessionGroupList() function will be the best solution here.

Re: Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64028

• mwilliams
  • mwilliamss Avatar
  • Fresh Lemon
I tried the hack with 1.70, 1.87+ and 1.91+. It only randomises the groups in 1.87+ but it's then all or nothing.

Turning debugging on in config.php returns no errors and I wouldn't know where to start with inserting PHP to log the function. Waiting until randomisation is included in the build isn't an option, so I'll keep trying to find a workaround for now.

Re: Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64043

• DenisChenu
  • DenisChenus Avatar
  • Moderator Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 788
1.91+ have a new functionnality for group random,

Look at advanced settings of each question.

( i didn't test it )

Re: Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64047

• holch
  • holchs Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 285
@Shnoulle: I couldn't find anything on Group Randomization (randomizing groups of questions). Are you referring to "Randomization group name"?

Because while it sounds like you can randomize groups, it just defines groups of questions, where the containing questions can be randomized. I don't like the wording, because it can really easily misunderstood and taken for the randomization of question groups. But what it really does is randomizing questions within a "group" which has nothing to do with the question groups we know from LS.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Group randomisation. 2 Jahre 11 Monate her #64070

• mwilliams
  • mwilliamss Avatar
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks for the replies but yes, the "Randomisation group name" field is the only relevant setting in the advanced section of each question. The tooltip states, as holch suggests, "all questions included in the specified group will appear in a random order". It doesn't randomise the group order, only the order of questions within a particular group.

Having hacked and uploaded a fresh copy of index.php on 1.87+, the group randomisation in the pdf linked from my OP seems to be working and stable. It had a period of stability before it broke previously, so I wonder if something wrote to the index file. I don't know of anything that writes to index.php but I'll keep a check on the modification date.

For anyone else wishing to randomise the group order, use the pdf hack with 1.87+ (rather than the version specified in the instructions) and insert the code around line 2814 (rather than the line specified in the instructions). I'll repost here if it breaks again.

Re: Group randomisation. 1 Jahr 2 Monate her #95908

• Mazi
  • Mazis Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 291
mwilliams schrieb:
Thanks for the replies but yes, the "Randomisation group name" field is the only relevant setting in the advanced section of each question. The tooltip states, as holch suggests, "all questions included in the specified group will appear in a random order". It doesn't randomise the group order, only the order of questions within a particular group.
A feature to randomize question groups exists since Limesurvey 2.0, see manual.limesurvey.org/Creating_a_questio..._group_randomization

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderatoren: ITEd
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.151 Sekunden
Donation Image