Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Return Data from External Database

• thomsol
  • thomsol's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #92080 by thomsol
Return Data from External Database was created by thomsol
I want to have a lookup against an external database to retrieve information based on a survey response. For example: user enters vehicle identification #, I want to look up the make, model, year, etc.

The way I'm attempting to do this is by adding a function to the em_core_helper.php module, which contains the logic to connect to the database, then look up the information.

Question, can the return from this function be a name->value pair, such that I could reference it as {car_id(qCarId.shown)["Model"]} or [car_id[CarId.shown)->Model?

Open to ideas of another way to do this....

(This question was moved from installation category)
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 1 month ago #92086 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Return Data from External Database
Rather than modifying the core code, it may be easier/safer to make an AJAX call to a remote script that accesses the "cars" DB for you.

Alternatively, here's an example of how to access data from a remote CSV file - www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...filled-questions-csv

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • thomsol
  • thomsol's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #92091 by thomsol
Replied by thomsol on topic Return Data from External Database
Ajax... ugh!! (sorry, not my skillset)... Any chance this will be handled with the plug-ins due in 2.1?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose